Home Chat General Chat

Coniston Water advice

Hey all,

Just wondered if anyone could share some advice. I'm up in the lakes for a week at the start of August, and was hoping to keep some open water swim training going. Coniston is the nearest body of water to our holiday house, but I've no idea where to aim myself as a good entry/exit point, or how the locals view open water swimmers (given that I'd be on my own with no boat support).

Any advice welcomed, or tips for other places to swim in the locality.

If anyone happens to train regularly in any of the lakes, then also please let me know - I'd much rather swim in a group than on me tot.

If it helps in your answer, I normally swim in a number of lake venues in the South East, or in the Thames. Anything from 3.5k to 6k per session. I always swim open water in a full wetsuit, and I'm of moderate ability - 1500m in a lake PB is 18:37

Thanks in advance

Matt

Comments

• dhcmdhcm Posts: 67
    Is 18.37 for 1500m swim classed as only "moderate ability" these days? My optimistic aim is to get to around 28 mins, and I thought that would be reasonably good! Clearly I am a long way off the pace...

I was cycling past Coniston in April, but didn't swim in it so can't really help
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    matt_bakermk2 wrote:
    I'm of moderate ability - 1500m in a lake PB is 18:37
    I must admit, when I read this, I did think it must be the biggest understatement, or very modest!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    28mins... I wish ... 18:37!!! ... you did say 1500m?

Strewth
  • Thanks for the comments, maybe I should put in context... There's a healthy number of really quick people round my way, Richard Stannard for one... enough to make me say moderate anyway ;o)

so, any help on Coniston...
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    Not sure this is much help for you but when I was staying in Coniston last year (by the way Old Man of Coniston is an ace ale from the Black Bull, 1 of many, but that's another story......) I certainly saw people walking back from swimming from the main village side of the lake where the ferry leaves and the boat ramp is with the cafe - so straight down from the village, a 10 min walk. If you're driving then right by the carpark. I didn't swim myself as we walked the Old Man circuit instead but it sure looked tempting.

I'm guessing you'd want to be pretty early though before it gets hideously busy.

Of course given that it was the Great North Swim weekend it's more than probable that they weren't local

VAM