Home Chat General Chat

1st Aug - David Lloyd Hull or Leeds Xpress Tri??

I want to do either the Leeds Xpress Tri, or the David Lloyd Hull - both are on August 1st.
Both are sprint distance and about as far away from me as each other.
Has anyone done either (or both) and which should I go for?

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Both have their merits - if you have family the David Lloyd sounds cool; you can do your stuff and the family can use the facilities and there is a childrens event as well. Bike is a straight there and back which should be fast.
    The Leeds again there and back but some cheeky climbs, 182m in total ascent so will be more challenging.

Both have turnarounds at significant roundabout so that depends how they are marshalled and whether they have police to give you priority.

Deciding factor may be the organisers - I have no experience of either so can't comment on that aspect.
  • AvoneerAvoneer Posts: 174
    I'm doing the Leeds one as my 1st Tri.

Did the Oulton Park Duathlon with Xtra Mile Events and it was very well run and organised.

They also answered all my questions/concerns on their facebook page which is cool.

Pat...
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i've done neither previously but will be at the xpress sprint on the 1st for a family smackdown. now i've heard it has some cheeky climbs i'm even happier
  • sonofsammosonofsammo Posts: 191
    Well I've paid my money and taken my choice - Leeds it is - Bring on the hills!
    Hills - pa......

Best thing about living/training in Yorkshire.

Doesn't matter which way I go when running or biking, it either up or down!

Pat...
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Did Leeds Xpress last year..
    Pool swim, followed by out and back bike on A61 to Harrogate. The hills are nothing to worry about. There's one short incline not long into it and one before the turn that lasts about two mins then two on the way back of similar length. Overall it's pretty quick. The run is pretty much flat around school playing fields and through a couple of little wooded areas.
    It was well run and overall would recommend.
    Cheers for the info Jac
    Might go and ride the course before hand.
    It's only my second tri and I'm desperate to beat my last time..
    Good luck if you do do it! Remember though that no two courses are the same so if you don't beat the time of your previous sprint it doesn't mean you're getting slower!
    Definitely have a ride of the course. It can be quite a busy road so pick your time. Sunday am should be ok..
    Christ almighty! The course is all hills!
    And I think the climb up Harewood Hill might kill me
    Repeat after me - I must train more, I must train more, hills are my friends, must train more - Argh
    I could show you some hills..those are mere bumps on the way to a fast bike split!
    LOL.

I cycled the route Saturday afternoon:

leeds-xpress-tri-t49064.html

Pat...
    Avoneer wrote:
    LOL.

I cycled the route Saturday afternoon:

leeds-xpress-tri-t49064.html

Pat...
    How did you find it?
    What were the lights like by Harewood house? Long or short change?
    Bit of a bugger after a hill....
    Apparently anyone that has to stop for the lights will get a time bonus (no idea what) and anyone that goes through a red will get DQ...
    I don't think I'll mind Harewood Hill on the outbound leg (except for the corner at the bootom, where idiots are prone to pull out on you ) - It's just on the return trip I think I'll die...
    Nowt I can do about it now though, just have to trust in training
    Medium change lights and yes, by Harewood House.

My mate came with me - 1st time on a bike in 15 years and he was on my 700cc wheeled hybrid with ropey gear shift and managed it.

More keep spinning and grit your teeth than stand up and grind for England.

On the way out, the downs look a lot harder than they actually are when you come back up them.

Pat...
    Cheers for the info
    Looking forward to it - just hope the weather doesn't suck!
    start times and race numbers released yesterday - i'm no 18, off at 10.25. feel free to say hi.
    ris wrote:
    start times and race numbers released yesterday - i'm no 18, off at 10.25. feel free to say hi.
    18!! You must be part fish!
    It'll take me a while to get that fast - still breast stroking I'm afraid
    I'm 157 - not a chance in hell of finishing that high up though
    i've come a long way in 2 years of tri but i wish i was a fish - i was as surprised as anyone to see me up there! my run is a hopeless load of cobblers though, so whatever happens in the swim and bike i can look forward to being overtaken quite a bit round the school grounds!
    Hi All,

Number 74 for me.

Did the bike route again this Sunday - it is a nice route, but the last 3 miles could hamper your running if you hammer it up the hill.

Looking forward to this - will be my 1st tri.

Pat...
    Wish I was doing it again this year.
    You'll enjoy it.
    The hills will be fine. If you do hammer the last incline you've got a stretch of flat before the roundabout and then once you turn left into the school to spin your legs ready for the run.
    And the run is very steady and flat so don't worry it!
    Best of luck
    Thanks for the extra info
    I suppose the plus side of hills is for every one you go up, you've got to come down again and gravity's definitely on my side on that one!
    Race times have changed - I'm 160 now - I can't believe I'm dropping places before I've even started!!
    i've just noticed that. i'm the same still, 18.
    Think I'm 76 now.

Pat...
    Hope you're feeling better for Sunday Ris
    cheers sonofsammo, i'm feeling lots better than last weekend!

best of luck to all those racing tomorrow, leeds or the imuk! hope to put some faces to names - i'll be the one in the blue orca trisuit (like 50 others) riding the specialized (like 50 others). i'll try and cheer forumites on, so if you hear a yell of encouragement then i might be me!

my brother is working this evening so it's my job to pack the car with the bikes... i wonder if he'll notice if i swap the gears and brakes round...
  • Since Abercrombie and Fitch gold accessories are trendy, stock up on golden hoop earrings, Abercrombie long necklaces with fashionable pendants, and rings with prominent centerpieces. buy Abercrombie Women’s accessories make your personality and creativity shine. Update your look and pay attention Abercrombie Sale to what you want your look to be. Express yourself and put your personal Cheap Abercrombie style to the fore through these catchy accessories and fashion finds. They spice up any Abercrombie outlet dress and give you that radiant glow.Costume Jewelry.Pieces of costume jewelry really fashion forward pieces that can make you stand out. Abercrombie clothing They are beautifully crafted with stones of different kinds, beads of various colors, and fashion forward styles. Costume jewelry may look a little too much when paired with a dress that already stands out. In order to balance the look, make sure to wear one with a simple dress or Abercrombie Outerwears top.Handbags are every woman’s best friend. Functional and aesthetically appealing, these fashion accessories come in different styles these days. Don’t just go for the abercrombie & fitch generic black leather bag.