Home Chat General Chat

IMUK

Just a quick post for everyone doing the IMUK this week. Enjoy the day realax and lap it up, one of the best experiences ever.

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Cheers mate...

I'm looking forward to it but nervous at the same time.

Just hope the weather holds up as with 2150m of climbing on the bike leg it could be a very long day
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    Best of luck guys. Hope ye have a safe race.

IK
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Good luck guys have a blast and soak up the atmosphere, i've never experienced anything like it.
  • pippip Posts: 170
    Best of luck to all competitors.I think it will be a tough day in the saddle
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Good luck all, S11 with your new steed I expect to hear glowing reports of hills just melting away ...

Anyway I certainly wish you all the very best of luck and hope that you have a day that will be a day of achievement and a memory that will inspire you for the rest of your lives.
    well for me my journey to ironman ends on Sunday. Yes its going to be tough, yes its going to be hard but its not called

pleasetreatmegentlyandmakeitniceandeasyman

Can't bloody wait. the new steed is not making its debut this one is the for the cat...... Battlecat is sitting in the livingroom pimped up to the maximum.....she's ready to rock and tear some bikes apart!

So whether it takes me 12 hours, 13 hours or even 17 hours. Makes no difference, just as long as I cross that line.
    S11 - battlecat - love that name - hope you are staying in a better hotel than the one that you unveiled battlecat to the world from

Good luck and have a good one, as you say if it isn't hard where's the achievement.
    Yeah.... suits her down to a T.... piss her off and she take victims apart hehe

Battlecat is now nearly a year old... 28th August was her maiden debut and that stinking hotel was rank.... this time I'm staying in the Ramada about 6miles from T1. Should be a more comfortable stay!!!
  • Well it certainly lived up to it's reputation...it was challenging, inspirational, hard work, fun...(shall I go on!!!) but above all bloody rewarding to cross that red carpet and hear the words I've waited 2 years to hear "you are an Ironman!!"
    I was told by friends to lap the whole day up as I'll never forget it and I never will.
    The new cervelo rode like a dream. Desended like it had a rocket attached. Bring on next year!!!

Well sat at Manchester airport waiting for a flight to Spain to recover. I hope all your iron experiences were as memorable as mine;))))
  • AvoneerAvoneer Posts: 174
    Well done - something I don't think I'll ever be able to do.

Is there gonna be any TV coverage?

Pat...
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    Yes channel4 will be airing the footage in November (ish, I don't remember exactly when they said it would be).
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    A huge well done and pat on the back to all who can now call themselves Ironman!
    Well my journey is complete - I am an ironman.

I will eventually post a race report just not now as I'm catching up at work hehe.

What I will say for all critiscim IMUK gets most of it undeserved. The organisational aspect of it was simply tip top. The marhsalls were amazing, the rotary club who were on the aid stations were brilliant and most of all - the people of Bolton who came out to support us. People were giving wine gums, wet flannels, water - all of their own backs. Some of them sat cheering us on all day. The crowd at the bottom of Sheephouse lane was brilliant. Ace day.

It always helps when you get interviewed by Channel 4 directly before the swim - Rob Walker grabbed me before the swim and interviewed me - it was a good feeling but I prob made a tit of myself but who cares!! Not even sure if it will make it into the programme or not.

The course was good and what a mind f@ck the run was. To run into Bolton to get so close to the finish chute but only to be sent back to Horwich. Ouch.

I managed it in 15hrs 11mins at 55s. some may look on it as slow but I don't cause to me a finish is a finish in what can only be described as the toughest race I have ever done.

I have a funnyish you tube video of me crossing the line.... to say I was delighted may be understatement.
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    wondered what had happened to you s11 - you weren't listed in the official results... were you really there or was it just a dream

Seriously a huge Congratulations to you all. The Highland Warrior is scary enough for me just now
    S11 (and battlecat) and everyone else - mega well done boys and girls That run does sound naughty

Spot on!
    Well anyone who knows me knows that I have a total sank memory. So I've trained for best part of 9 months and I'm all ready for the hardest race of my life. Of course I want to keep tabs on my time so what do I do- leave my Fecking timing chip in the hotel! I got a new one but my time isn't allocated to it yet. I've emailed them to ask for the splits. I'll post the you tube link tomorrow.
  • That's great, The other week I was driving up to Liverpool from Cardiff to do a tri, girlfriend and son in the car when she asks have you got everything? Cocky me said yeah everything, she went throught the list I was really cocky until she said "trainers"!!!!!!!!! Oh I better turn round then, and added two hours on to our journey, not the most popular person that day.

It got better I left my pump and sunglasses in transition, I'll right a list next time.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Well done IMUKers - what a great event this was - very well organised and the support was fantastic.

I started Tri last year after years of smoking and drinking too much and completed several sprints a couple of duathlons and the little Woody last year - This year was a duathlon, Wimbleball 70.3 and IMUK.

Wimbleball has been and gone with a finish of about 6.12

And after a month of injury worries and niggles i have just completed IMUK in 12 hours 21 - for me a fantastic result. 1:06 for the swim, 6:39 for the bike and 4:19 for the run. Ohh and 13 months to the day since I gave up smoking too.

This was the first time I had ridden over 100 miles and the first time I had run over 13 miles in one session - to all those out there with dreams of IM finishes ... it is possible and it is doable ... and to those Treefrogarian types... walking the dog is training if you put the effort in ....

All the best to those that competed - what a fantastic effort you all put in - I stayed at the finish until gone 10pm to watch and cheer on most of the athletes in and cheer them on and the sheer enthusiasm and effort was great to see.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    GGB, your route is almost identical to mine, only quicker. First Tri in April 2009, and then a busy season, finishing with The Little Woody in August 2009.

2010 was the year for me, Wimbeball in June, completed, and IM UK in August, completed. Made it around in 15:38:59, which was less than 3 minutes more than I told my wife. When I left in the morning, I told her to be at the finish line by 9:30 to see me come down the chute, and I got there at 9:39.

It wasn't fast, it wasn't pretty, but I've got the medal, T-shirt, and a sore ankle from the Tat yesterday.

Training could have gone better, but being made redundant during the Peak phase certainly takes the focus off of training, and onto job hunting instead. But, I made it, and that was the goal for my first attempt. I am an IronMan, and my daughter thinks I'm a hero. Result!
  • Race1Race1 Posts: 58
    13 Months!!! Amazing!

Congratulations