Home Chat General Chat

what bike??

HI all
Can anyone help me please?
I have always run, but have decided to have a go at a tri, not bad at swimming, but have no bike, I have nicked my husband mountain bike just to build up to 10k, but its too big and heavy,
What will be the best type of bike, I plan to cycle to work to build up approx 7 miles.
Any tips on bikes or training will be greatfully recieved.
Nic

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Hi Nic

Welcome to the forum,

When it comes to bikes its always hard to advise as budget and stuff are different for us all.
    Be prepared for the carbon attack from the forumites as if its red carbon and expensive its bound to be fast.

A would recommend a road bike myself and if you are only looking to do sprint level tri's then the expense is up to you, my first bike and still my stead is a viking tourino which set me back £230 2 years ago now. I have done a few bits to it and its fine for sprints as i am never going to win one (well dont expect to)

I suppose the moral to this story is triathlon is an expensive sport but you should only spend what you can afford.

Get a road bike though and the best you can! Carbon forks are great and so is a full carbon boardman team comp at £999

Hope it helps
    Blinkybaz
  • niccinicci Posts: 3
    Hi
    Thanks for the prompt reply, Ive just been to cycle shop (OMG) how much....
    Have you come across a sports bike, mix of road and hybrid but with flat bars??
    How many tri's have you done? Is it full of flash equipment and kit? would i look mega chavvy in my running gear?
    Nic
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    +1 for what BlinkyBaz said.

In times gone by treefrog would've popped up to tell you that you should spend as much as possible on your first bike as if you got a duffer you'd only want to replace it. He's right, of course. It's the whole 'as much as possible' equation than many bike freaks don't understand, though....

'As much as possible' for me is whatever I can justify given my living and family expenses, the fact that I'd be mean to spend squillions on a bike but let the kids miss out on something, the realities of life etc etc.

If you can get a knowledgable mate to help out on specific bikes then second hand is always a good idea and you'll get a perfectly serviceable bike for a few hundred pounds. If Halfords / Evans etc have a sale then you could do well, so long as you know what to go for.

If you are just experimenting with Tri then maybe a commuter would be a good option if you think you'll do more commuting miles than training/racing miles. Be warned, though, that if you get into it you wil DEFINITELY need another bike.

A road racing bike becomes a really good option when you look at it like this. Tell us your budget and a bit more about your priorities for using the bike and I'm sure there will be heaps of advice on what to go for. Blinky has already given a cracking suggestion with the Boardman bikes - I think they can be had from about £700 for the basic ones. The Giant 'Defy' bikes have cracking frames and can be had for under £400. Raleigh also do a couple of budget bikes that serve beginners very well.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Hi Nic and welcome

As Blinkybaz says it is all too easy to get sucked into the bling thing in triathlon (says me on my 3rd, well technically 4th bike) but don't be too awed as all those bling bikes offer improvements in diminishing returns, they go fast because the riders are fast and mere mortals like me just look fast

Bike you describe sounds like a hybrid, looks like an MTB, flat bars but no knobbly tyres?

As BB says a road bike is ideal; what to look for? A 'Standard' or 'Compact', suggest a 'Compact' might be best to start with - not a triple; carbon fork would be nice as it reduces fatigue. A lot of the girls on the forum would probably say be wary of women specific bikes as there is usally a premium but then it depends on your physique, it is importat to get sized properly.

How much? £300 will get you a Halfords Carrera, £450 will get you a Trek 1.1 with the same mechanics. Other popular makes are Giant and Specialized, Boardmans have a ggod rep but a bit more expensive. But - do you have a cycle to work scheme? Could save you serious jellybeans and get a better bike as well.

I really wouldn't spend a lot as you are going to either think 'wow I am enjoying thisand quite happy with my bike' or get the 'curse' and think I need carbon and titanium.

Chavvy in running gear? You should see some of our outfits. Would suggest you ge a trisuit, very practical, saves you time and you would 'look the part'. Yours for under £20
    http://www.startfitness.co.uk/prodtype. ... Position=1

Once you shortlist a couple of bikes get back to us, we are v friendly.
    I think CH is on commission ... of course he's absolutely right we have a duty to reflate the economy
  • niccinicci Posts: 3
    Hi All
    Thanks guys for all the advice. Before I started looking my figure was about £250, which goes up with each cycle shop I visit.
    Just found out Im in a cycle to work scheme, so off to the shops again!
    Ive seen a few I like Raleigh, trek and a gaint dash(but they are now blending in to one). the thoughts of a drop handle scares the sh*t out of me, so looking towards a road bike with flat handle bar (?).
    Nicci
    OK Cycle to Work scheme good

I really wouldn't worry too much at this stage about going on the drops as you can still stay 'on the hoods'. I believe the bikes you mentioned are all hybrid triples the problem with which are that you are paying for but unlikely to use the small 'granny' ring plus they tend to be substantially heavier than a road bike.

Having said that you will see hybrids and MTBs at events and the smile on the riders faces and their sense of achievemnt are the same as road bike or tri bike users.

And yes, the prices do seem to go up each time you look.

Enjoy.