Home Chat General Chat

new to tri

i would like to do my first triathalon, 400/20/5. I would love some suggestions on which triathalon to train for (easter time next year) as at the moment i'm 110kg. The run i can just about do, the bike no problem but i'm rather an inept swimmer. so i need motivation to lose weight and get fit.
If you could also suggest what sort of times i should be looking for again this is to help motivate me and make sure i don't make a complete fool of myself.

many thnaks for your time

Comments

• TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Give us a bit more info, where are you, fitness background, how good are you at swim/bike/run, etc
  • sonofsammosonofsammo Posts: 191
    Is that 110Kg good weight or bad?
    I started out the year at 107Kg and have dropped to 90Kg - it makes the run and bike a lot easier!
    If you've got a bit of extra weight to drop, combine tri training with something like http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/ and watch the weight fall off
    I started from an non-athletic background this year and have completed two sprint distance tri's.
    1:35 for the first one, 1:38 for the second - For your first one concentrate on enjoying the experience, rather than overall time - at the last one I did the last person to finish did it in 2:34 - the important thing is that they finished

Train - Weight off - Train - Speed up

Good luck with the training - it's an awesome sport
  • in terms of my current fitness, i can comfortably cycle for 2 or 3 hours covering 40 miles, running i am awful as am i at swimming. i can cover the running distance all be it very slowly and the swimming i am working on. i've not tried to combine any of the disaplins yet. i am to drop a lot of weight aiming for 90ish.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    If its a Super Sprint and its your first time I would suggest a Humanrace event (they are a bit dear though).

www.humanrace.co.uk

Eton Super Sprints is a race which is held usually in the middle of May (word is it'll be 14-15/ May) its held over two days so you can choose if you want to race Saturday or Sunday. The swim is held at the Rowing Tank at Dorney (where they'll hold the 2012 olympic rowing races) its very clean. The bike is a 4 lap ride around the lake and the run is a 2 lap jobby.

Its all on closed roads so perfect for noobs and is as flat as a fart so its quick. Only draw back is its about £55 which is fairly steep for a sprint.

I've done this race a couple of times now and even though my goals are more long distance now I'll probably do it again next year cos its a good bench mark course.

Good luck..........
  • thanks, i was looking at the eton race. Is it a wet suit swim or not? Also as all my swimming will be pool based, do i need to practise swimming in open water in a wet suit? Any cheapish recommendations for a suit and any ideas where i can practise in leicester area?

cheers
  • jonnnijonnni Posts: 32
    Bosworth Water for OW swim in Leics area

You could try East Leake Triathlon on 26 sept this year (pool)

They also do one of the earliest of the year - last week in March

Mallory park do some OW events including an evening event I think
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    chaserace have a three spires pool-based event on sapt 19, and they are very rookie friendly events, wouldn't be too far from you in leics.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    oliverswain wrote:
    Is it a wet suit swim or not?
    Yes, unless the water is above 22c.
    oliverswain wrote:
    Also as all my swimming will be pool based, do i need to practise swimming in open water in a wet suit?
    Well, (opens can of worms.........) its obviously favourable to have done some OW swimming before a your race BUT its not the end of the world if you havnt...

My first race was a 1500 OW swim and I had never worn a wetsuit or swam in OW before and I got on just fine. It is very different to pool swimming though and as long as you are aware of the differences and dont panic you'll have a good swim.

In OW:

-You wont be able to see the bottom
    -You cant see where you're going (unless you sight regularly or follow someones feet in front)
    -Its often fairly chilly (sounds fairly inncocuous but can make you hyperventilate a little)
    -And you'll have about 200 other blokes around you trying to swim to the same place as you (Known as "the aqua ruck")

Dont be put off though its a bloody good laugh!!!
    oliverswain wrote:
    Any cheapish recommendations for a suit and any ideas where i can practise in leicester area?
    You can hire wetsuits.....

http://www.wetsuithire.co.uk/

and have a go at OW swimming at........

http://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/i ... imming_map

http://www.leicestertriathlonclub.co.uk/swimming.php

not a bad idea to join a club.

Hope this helps.
  • thanks for all your comments. as for the obsession with carbon that's already in hand.

here's to losing weight and running my first tri