Home Chat General Chat

Gear ratios - ironman UK

Hi,

I am new to triathalon and infact cyling too. I have an old emmelle banchee which only has 7 cogs on the back so can be hard to ride up hill.

I am entered for ironman UK - does anyone know if the course will be hilly as if so will get some more cogs for the front as I've only got 2 at the moment?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Hi and welcome.

Well you have set yourself a bit of a challenge; my understanding the IMUK course is indeed hilly.

Can you tell us how many teeth are on each of the front rings, and how many on the largest cog on the back?

Adding an extra ring on the front involves a lot of work and expense so I would not even go there. I also think at this late stage you would probably be best seeing if you can borrow a bike with a 'Compact' set up of 50/39, if possible a 50/36 or even a 50/34, on the front and at least a 25 on the back.If not a 'Compact' then a triple.
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    Zac is right, the gears you have will not be enough. The height gain is 7000Ft + so there are lots of hills.

I would definately advise to borrow one if you can, if not try TriUK because they rent Giant branded bikes.
    they often have triples which would be ideal for a new cyclist.

I am doing it on a compact chainset, which basically means my front cogs are smaller which makes it easier to climb hills but reduce top speed.

What's your Bib Number - mine is 432.......
  • Thanks guys.

My local Aldi has a special offer at the moment - a flash looking racer for £200 with two smaller cog wheels on the front and 8 bigger cogs on the back. I gave it a spin round the car park and it was much easier than my trust old girl. I did five laps of Richmond park the other day at an average of 9 mph, how do you think I will go at the big one?

Also while I am here what do you guys think of those extender sticks for the handle grips that I saw in my loal decathlon at £19.99, Bargain??

Cheers for the advice guys really helpful

PS. how do I find my racer start number?
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Honestly - borrow or even better hire a bike as Graham33 says; you will get a decent fit and not be spending a lot of money on something which is a complete unknown.
  • jrhunt78jrhunt78 Posts: 43
    9 mph round Richmond park - you'll be fine with IMUK.

If you need a wetsuit for the swim my mate gone one he uses for surfing in you can borrow. Also in terms of trainers one of my other mates swears by running in in the following....as it says they're recommended for jogging

http://www.wynsors.com/quantum-p-19363.html

Have you thought about nutrition yet for the course? The hot dogs there are fab!
    I think what JRhunt78 is trying to suggest is that you seem a little unprepared for the Ironman.

It is a massive undertaking, to which I have trained specifically for the Ironman for 30 weeks. (After doing 2 years of various tri before)

There is lots to think about and race nutrition is a massive part of the event. If you've not cycled much then 112 miles is really going to hurt! esspecially around Bolton.

Good luck to you though!

Of Bib numbers are now of the front page of the UK IM website as a PDF.
    In Fact after re-reading your post you must be completely taking the P*SS!

Yeah as JRhunt say hotdogs are good, not as god as milky ways - won't spoil your appitete either.
  • jrhunt78jrhunt78 Posts: 43
    Graham.....good luck fella......hope all goes well!

You may be better prepared than some!
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    To save some cash so you can buy this cast iron shopping trolley from Aldi you could cover yourself in Goose Fat for the swim.... Dont need a wetsuit then.

To help with the run, If you do it wearing stilts your stride length will be longer for less effort therefore covering more ground and ultimately you will be faster....probably breaking 3 hours for the marathon.

As you will be using fat as your main source of fuel during the race, why not have a couple of doner kebabs or deep fried cheesey bites in a carrier bag hung off one side of the handle bars... swap the carrier bag over to the other side of the bars depending on which way a corner goes, you will turn in quicker and therefore take the shortest route and again probably means you will do a 5hour bike split.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408

Hussler. That was a top reply. I might try hanging a carrier bag off my bike. Might look good as well
  • pataallenpataallen Posts: 94
    this has to be a bite....!!!
    Right.... I saw one of the oddest things today while competing at the Trenthan Big Half.

Check out Husslers post......

ok, so on the bike leg, prob 4th lap of the course and there was a guy out there who waas part of the standard distance and was on his mountain bike. Fair enough. Then I get to closer to him and I thought he had has camelback off and was carrying it.

Alas, it was a fecking nylon bag with draw cords hanging from his handlebars. Worse still it had stuff in it.....

Seriously wtf

Brought a wry smile to my face, all I needed was for hime to be covered in goose fat and eating a donner
  • sonofsammosonofsammo Posts: 191
    I think the OP is either trolling or not of this Earth - must be one of the two!
    I think I'll try out the plastic bag - I'be been dying to go round corners quicker.
    Would it work as well with an Aldi bag, or would I have to go up a level or two and invest in a Sainsbury or Waitrose set up?
  • stevsterstevster Posts: 73
    So do we know for certain if this guy is joking, cos if hes serious I might drive from home (Bromsgrove) to Bolton JUST to watch him.
    Either is a joke or the guy is totally dillusional.!!!!!
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    sonofsammo - an aldi bag would be good but a bag from waitrose or Sainsbury would be lighter and more for the pro's I think...

Shadow told me he had seen this guy after the race, i didn't see him though.

This guy on the forum has to be joking.
    I'm not kidding when I say I saw a guy on a mountain bike with a bag hanging from the righthand side of the handlebars. It had stuff in it, not much as it was swinging about. He wasn't going espec fast.. At the time all I was thinking about was this thread and Hussler reply, it was one of those things that you just remember.

I'm not saying it was this guy but it saw it.... he was in the OD race cause his race number was a different colour to the Big Half. I just can't remember his number.

It was a classic moment... you couldn't make it up
  • sonofsammosonofsammo Posts: 191
    This guy is definitely on another planet -
    Check out one of his other posts - http://www.220triathlon.com/forum/super-fast-tri-bike-t49149.html
    Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
    Sub 9 hour Iron man!!!!!!
    I think he probably means he watched the film Iron Man for just under 9 hours on repeat
    Hmmm

I had an suspicion on who this guy was but I've just checked the IP address and its coming up with a location in London, close to Covent Garden area...

He/ She is got to be on a piss take....still amusing tho