Home Chat General Chat

How can I fix aerobars to a flattened handlebar?

Have realised a major problem with putting aero bars on my current steed - I've got a Specialized Allez Elite and the bars flatten outwards from the stem - If the aero bar clamps are round, how will they actually fix on to flattened bars?
Ultimately the aim's to comlete IMUK next year, but I can't afford a TT bike, so I've got to sort this one.
Any suggestions would be most welcome!
Cheers,
Andrew

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Hi Andrew
    The aerobars usually have rubber inserts so that the clamp doesn't damage the handlebars so depending on the degree of oblation (hey that's a good word and I think it's in right context as well) you could add extra strips on the top and bottom to 'round' it out, if that makes sense.
  • sonofsammosonofsammo Posts: 191
    Hi Zacnici
    Won't there be too much play in the clamps if I do that?
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I don't know Andrew, depends on how 'flat' the bars are but with the right amount of packing the clamp should get a good purchase.

Remember the aim of the bars is to rest the forearms on to divert airflow around the arms and body and allow you get the hips to open up to 90deg, you are not gripping the bars or pulling them. In time trials cyclists will pull on the bars to engage a different set of muscles to put down max power but then they aren't running 10K afterwards. The main weight will be on the arm rests which should be almost over the clamps anyway so the weight is pressing down rather than exerting a rotational force on the clamp.

Remember also you will need to adjust your setup, this may be useful to you as you are not called Eric:
    http://www.andoverwheelers.com/Document ... ctions.htm
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    In my experience you don't want any possible 'play' in the fixings.

My reason for saying this is that I hit a pothole (that was disguised by a puddle) earlier this year, whilst on the aero bars, the aero bars dropped under the sudden impact and I went straight over the bars!

I'm not aware of any fixings for flat bars and if you can't find any I'd suggest replacing your current bars for some conventional shaped one's and then fixing the aero bars. If you go for some after market bars they will be a fraction of the cost of a new bike and indeed you could easily source some from ebay.

Just make sure you get the bar to bar measurement right as some manufacturers measure from the middle of the bar, others measure from the edge, so a 42cm bar in one make may well not be a 42cm bar in another make!!!!

Good luck.
  • BertBert Posts: 24
    Hiya,

Defo try and go for a different handlebar as opposed to fitting on an oval bar. As stated, at some point during the ride you will pull on the bar once or twice without knowing/realising and they are very likely to move. Also, if clamping onto an oval shaped carbon bar, the clamps on the tri extensions may well crush the carbon.

Sounds costly, but there are some great bargins to be had out there for carbon round/conventional road bars that will accept tri extensions.

Main things to look for are:
    Clamp size of your tri bars , oversized 31.8?
    Length of clamp area on handlbars (ie how much round 31.8mm area for clamps to sit on at both sides of stem)
    Bar width, if you measure centre to centre or outside to outside.

All this info is usually on the bar description.

Hope helps
    Stephen
    Slightly scared now, as I'm mechanicaly inept....
    How big a job is it for an incompetent normal person to switch handle bars and stick all the relevant bits (sti's etc) back on?
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    I also mechanically inept and I can assure you, it's no big deal.

The shifters usually have a clamp on the back which will be revealed when you take off the bar tape.

To be honest, the toughest bit of the whole job is getting the bar tape back on neatly and securely but as long as you make the change well in advance you will have plenty of time to make small adjustments if you need to!

Biggest tip would be to make the change as soon as you can, leaving plenty of time for mentioned adjustments. That way you won't be panicking nearer the time and will have a good set up that you are confident in!
    Think I've found a solution, but not sure which to go with:

http://www.ovalconcepts.com/productsGenereDett.php?idGenere=99&idCat=1

Not sure which to go for though... They all seem deisgned to overcome the problem, but the sccs ones aren't cheap - does anyone know if they're any good?

Cheers,
    Andrew