Home Chat General Chat

Injury advice

Hi guys

I have pulled my lower back on the left side and cant train as running is causing a lot of pain and I cant lean forward a great deal to hold the handlebars on a bike (normally helpful). I'm doing the notts marathon this year so want to be fully fit for that so can actually finish it in a decent time.

Apart for obviously resting it would massage be a good way forward or best to just let it heal and not antagonise it? Also slightly random but would a cold bath or hot bath help at all with recovery for it. I have a cold bath after a long run but wasn't sure if that's worse for a back as the muscles will contract due to the cold.

Any help/advice be great as slightly anxious as marathon isn't far away

Cheers andy

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Well thought I would respond so you don't feel ignored.
    http://www.bigbackpain.com/muscle-injur ... #treatment

This suggests that strained back muscles will heal over a matter of weeks, of course for triathletes that is not good news and we all want quick fixes:
    Temporary relief of back pain may be obtained with pain / anti-inflammatory medications and applying heat and cold. Relief from pain and inflammation from pulled back muscles / ligaments can be obtained by applying ice to the injury (wrap ice in cloth - do not apply ice directly to skin) for 15 to 20 minutes every 4 hours for two or three days. The cold helps reduce pain and inflammation and is also a distraction from the back pain. After four or five days, providing the inflammation has subsided, applying heat for 15 or 20 minutes at a time may be beneficial. Heat increases blood flow and helps relax tight back muscles. (Pain can cause muscles to tighten or spasm).

NOTE: Do not apply heat or cold if you have circulation problems or nerve damage unless recommended by your physician.

Your doctor may prescribe pain medications that contain codeine and/or muscle relaxants to relieve severe acute back pain, especially for the first week after the injury.

Drinking plenty of water is important to flush out the acidic byproducts of muscular activity that can accumulate and irritate the muscles.

Tip: To avoid aggravating back pain, 'roll' out of bed: bend your legs at your knees and hips and roll on your side. Push yourself up with your arms as you hang your lower legs over the side of the bed.

Other Pain Treatments
    There are many methods to relieve pain, loosen tight back muscles, and speed healing - massage therapy, hydrotherapy, etc. See Back Pain Treatments and Complementary Back Pain Treatments for more options.

Exercise after Back Strain or Sprain?
    Bed rest will actually delay recovery. But you could restrain injured muscles by rushing into an exercise program before healing has taken place. Maintain daily activities. Gentle stretching exercises for the back increase circulation to the muscles to speed healing, relieve tight muscles and help increase mobility.

Save the strengthening exercises until your back pain has gone or as recommended by your doctor or physical therapist. If you are unsure as to what exercises are safe or when to begin them, a physical therapist can create a personalized exercise program for you to follow
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Is this a persistent reoccuring injury or a one off? If its a one off then a bit of rest and some heat treatment works wonders. Being a tall lanky lad, I'm prone to the odd sore back so I generally use heat patches and a bit of rest. Usually does the trick.

If its a reoccuring or an injury that won't go away then get yourself referred for some physio as there may be something underlying in there. Tight hamstrings for example can have an effect on your back, as I found out a few years back.

There are some basic exercises you can do to help your back but these need to be shown from a physio as well.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I think If I were you i would get it solved professionally. See and back cracker or a doc maybe even a physio.
  • Thanks folks.

It is a one off as I picked my son at a silly angle whilst outstretched - doh.
    It feels a bit better today as rested so see how it feels tomorrow and if worse I will go to the docs.

Andy