Home Chat General Chat

Flip flop stem - Any ideas?

Hi all,
I've got a Specialized Allez Elite and I'm trying to find out:
a) If it's got a flip/flop stem and
b) If it does, how I can change it.
Any ideas or guidance would be appreciated!
I've realised that there's no way I can get aerobars until I can do something to reach them!!
Cheers,
Andrew

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Now dont quote me on this as I might be wrong!
    I think you will find a saddle type shoe on its foot!

I know its a rubbish cheap etempt at humour but it gets yopur post back to the top of the list!!!
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    I'll stick my neck out and say that in all likelihood, it does have a reversible stem - most are nowadays.
    All you have to do to swap it from (for example) 6 degrees upward slope to 6 degrees downward, is take it off (remove faceplate and the hex screws at the back of the stem and top of your forks, removing any spacers that might be above the stem as well) then turn it upside down and reassemble.
    The only thing to be wary of really is that you don't get any gaps between the top of your forks and your headtube, as gaps allow dirt in and will make your forks judder.

If the question is how to change the stem for one with a different angle or different length, the answer is the same. Just make sure you get one that fits the same thickness handlebars! The size is probably printed on your existing stem.

Simples! Definitely not a job you have to get your bike shop involved with.
  • sonofsammosonofsammo Posts: 191
    Thanks nivagh - I'll give it a go!
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    pretty sure that you will be able to - my allez '08 had a flippable stem and i used the bike for a while with the stem flipped up for comfort.