Home Chat General Chat

warm-ups (openwater races)

so ... how do y'all warm-up pre-race?

I've read all the stuff about warming up in revese order with a run, then a bike (turbo maybe) then a short swim... but how does that work in reality?

By the time I;ll have done my run and bike and then gotten my wetsuit on, all the benefit of raising heart rate and core body temperature and getting blood flowing has been lost. TBH probably getting the wetsuit on gets all of that going to a degree anyway... so how does it work for other peeps?

This doesn't even allow for the mandatory standing around waiting for the race briefing to occur whilst you lose the benefit of the warm-up...

didds

Comments

• andissandiss Posts: 82
    brisk walk, some windmills with the old arms and some strong coffe gets me going, cant be bothered faffing around to much.

or why not horseburgers and wine??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce432_JmdB8
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I recall reading a blog about an IM race where the writer witnessed a guy doing very brisk warm exercises 15 minutes before the swim start and then started writhing in agony on the floor, race over as he had pulled something not good.

Coffe and a few light arm/leg stretches sounds good, but then what would I know I'm a really crap swimmer.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    If its a start in the water, then a quick pee in my wetsuit. That usually warms me up.