Home Chat General Chat

Swim Instructor

Hi All,

I'm looking for a good swim instructor in the Fleet area. I struggle with my technique and stamina on front crawl and I'm really looking to improve on this building towards a half I/M early next year.

Cheers,

J.

Comments

• pataallenpataallen Posts: 94
    jsb_bike wrote:
    Hi All,

I'm looking for a good swim instructor in the Fleet area. I struggle with my technique and stamina on front crawl and I'm really looking to improve on this building towards a half I/M early next year.

Cheers,

J.
    i'm going for a session at stroke2stroke tomorrow night; they do coaching in an endless pool, only £20 per session, sounds good value compared to the other endless pool people normally around £50...i'll let you know how i get on.

ps, they're in Pirbright, about 7 miles from fleet.
  • jsb_bikejsb_bike Posts: 10
    How did you get on ? Worth it ?

Cheers,

J.
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    If you can travel to Winchester my friend is a swim coach and is a GB qualifer too..so if you want her details just PM me.
  • pataallenpataallen Posts: 94
    jsb_bike wrote:
    How did you get on ? Worth it ?

Cheers,

J.
    erm no! i was refraining from posting on here of my experience as i was expecting a call off them to rearrange - as yet no call

i got there on time and it came as a shock to the chap running it that i had a booking - he said that the message hadn't been passed on to him and was closing up for the night. To be fair to him he offered to re-open, i had a quick look at the endless pool (very nice looking too), but no cameras or video facility...i enquired where they were, they had to be set up specially on request...at this point i made my excuses and left!

I'm still waiting for them to call me back to re-arrange!
    Thanks for the information, as they were so close, I was toying with the idea of getting down there. I might re-evaluate now
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    £20...Jesus!

No BTF triathlon clubs close by?
    Our coached swims are a paltry £2 a session in the local leisure centre.
    Private lanes roped off.

Its ok having a coach tell you what to do for that hour but you still have to put it into practice AND get an expert eye correcting your mistakes.

Still cant believe it....£20!

Hmmm lets see...convert a corner of my garage to an endless pool...£14000 (including a few fluffy towels to make it look posh)...£20 a sesh.....bang 8 of those out a day....Sundays off for racing....
    Morning,

Farnham Tri-Club are close by, however I've always been daunted by the fact of joining any clubs as I prefer to do my training solo, or in a very small group, mainly due to the stupid o'clock I get up to get out.

I may have to change that, based on the costs of swim training...

Cheers.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Quitter wrote:
    Hmmm lets see...convert a corner of my garage to an endless pool...£14000 (including a few fluffy towels to make it look posh)...£20 a sesh.....bang 8 of those out a day....Sundays off for racing....
    If it was that easy we'd all be wearing tracksuits, shouting 'F##k' at people a lot a calling ourselves triathlon coaches! Unfortunately, it takes a bit of knowledge too apparently which I'm guessing they're charging for as well. B##tards!

I digress... IMHO, get yourself a video analysis, pay £50, whatever, its worth it (I'd heartily recommend swimfortri). Once you've seen yourself swim and had your mistakes pointed out, you get a much better sense of what your limbs are doing. I'll bet you a tube of nuun tablets that what you think your stroke looks like bears no resemblence to reality.
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    The video idea is a sound idea buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut I,m guessing he's going to get more value from 10 lessons at a leisure center.

I understand joining clubs is nt everyones "thing" - but it works! Try the club thing (dos nt have to be a Tri club, have basic swimming lessons) and THEN have a private video session perhaps?

BTW the last time someone repeatably shouted F*@!k at me she was nt a coach and it was nt a training session as such.

Besides I've always responded better to encouragment as opposed to the Sargeant Major type tactics
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    I'd say video session first. Identify what needs working on then do the leisure centre/tri club thang.

You could be spending 10 weeks reinforcing bad habits.

Horses for courses though. You pays your money, you takes your choice. But we're triathletes right? Why pay 2 pound when we can p1ss £50 up the wall?
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    Hi,

I too live in Fleet.

Farnham Tri do at least one evening session at Aldershot Garrison pool but I've never been mainly as I work away. However last year I did swim a regular technique session with another tri club which helped no end, so I would recommend you bite the bullet.

I open water swim at Mytchett Quays. Trisport are local, and run the sessions there. They also do swim coaching in an endless pool: http://www.trisportuk.org/swimming/ I've not used them for training though.

Ade
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    why get an endless pool or join a club? get one or two coached sessions (1-2-1) and work on the things you have identified to correct. I had some sessions with Swim4tri and they were very good, really improved my technique which meant i could concentrate on improving and building fitness - then when i felt i had stopped getting improvements, went back for a few more, some other faults identified and worked on. I'm far from perfect, but lots better than i was.
    Thanks for the advice guys. Might do a video analysius, just for the hell of the techy aspect as well!

LargeAde, I know exactly where you live On my road to be precise !!

I should pay you to sort my swimming out..
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    jsb_bike wrote:
    LargeAde, I know exactly where you live On my road to be precise !!
    Now that would scare me!
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    Lol, small world; AND we spoke before I read this ... in our road, no less. I've seen you swim, we both know its time to spank the wallet.

... and then you can teach me to bike.
  • +1 for swim for tri, those guys are superb.

Better hurry up and book though - their prices go up 1st September.
  • +2 for swim4tri

Keeley Bullock is wicked and changed my swimming in one session.

Deffo worth the money - make no mistake it will open your eyes massively.

Do it - or get Rick Kiddle at Heron lake to point you in the right direction - the bacon sarnies are quality