Home› Chat› General Chat

New to Tri

Hi All

Just thought I would pop on and say hello. I'm fairly new to Triathlon and have been caught by the bug!!!

My Dad put me forward for a sprint distance whilst he was drunk in the pub last Christmas Eve (cheers Dad!!) so I was forced off my settee playing XBOX and into the gym!!! I did the sprint in April and although my time wasn't the best (130.13) I raised £500 for Cancer Research and loved it immensely!!!I have since completed another sprint (and knocked 15 minutes off my time!!!), an Olympic and did the Team Relay event this past weekend. I have joined my local Tri club and cannot get enough of it.

One thing that has really struck me is the friendliness of other competitors which was one thing that I was a little bit weary of at first. I was expecting cold shoulders and funny looks, however this couldn't be further from the truth. Triathletes are a very nice breed and I am now proud to count myself as one (albeit a slow one!!!)

Next year I am planning to do many more Tri's and the main aim is a Half Ironman. In 2012 I plan to do Roth (fingers crossed). Nothing like planning your future!! What are other peoples plans for events/training for next year?

Cheers

Comments

• FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Nice work Browny! And sounds like your times ain't too shabby at all mate.

Plans, plans, plans... 2011 is UK 70.3 and Big Woody for me (and a sprint and OD in there somewhere). 2012 hoping to do IMCH.

Any ideas on your half? I can heartily recommend Swashbuckler if you like flat, or come and tackle the hills at Wimbleball... *gulp*
  • Cheers Dave

Think I'm going to go for the Beaver Half, a few members of my team are doing that. A couple of them are doing Wimbleball, but the price (and the hills!!!!) put me off a bit. I wanna get a new bike next year so the hefty price of an Ironman UK event may be too much.

Gonna concnetrate on more OD's next year I think but definately do a Half IM

Have you got anymore planned for this year?

I'm gutted that I didn't get into it earlier really because I would have done loads more this season, mind you after a good period of focused training during winter I'm hoping that next season I can do a fair few!!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    My plans for next year - return to abu dhabi and smash my previous time as I will spend the winter getting hammered but I will be stronger for it

Next year is about being faster and fitter than this year. Not going above HIM level
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Usually its the competitor that get drunk and enters ... well welcome and yep we are a pretty friendly bunch.
  • To be fair to my Dad he did enter aswell and has got another 1 planned....considering he's 59, puts me to shame a bit!!

I'm just a bit gutted that I haven't done more this season really and just want November to come so I can plan how many I'm gonna do next year!!!
  • HeweyHewey Posts: 8
    I'm just a bit gutted that I haven't done more this season really and just want November to come so I can plan how many I'm gonna do next year!!!
    November would be the start of the duathlon season. There's no need to wait til next year for more races.

See you on a start line sometime soon!
  • Like you mate I'm a new fish at Tri, so new that I havn't actually done one yet but am training hard and taking advice about what to do next year. Maybe a sprint before the end of the year(Huntly) and a couple of sprints, a couple of Oly and if all goes well a mid next summer. I'm finding the bike the toughest, how about you?
  • Hi Colin

I've never been a swimmer, runner or cyclist and my only dabble with anything slighty sporty or competitive was Kickboxing when I was about 16 and playing football!! So for me it was quite difficult getting to grips with all 3 at first.

Surprisingly I picked up the swimming quite quickly and am now avaeraging 8 mins for my sprint swims. I've found that my run is prob my best discipline and in fact have become quite accustomed to both running and swimming and found them both alot easier than I could have imagined!!

The cycling on the other hand is a different beast altogether!! At the moment I am not using clip pedals after having a bad experience practicing with them!!! Going to start using them in the winter to get used to them for next season though (any recommendations??). I think the main thing with the bike is getting miles under your belt, doing plenty of hill work and trying to work some intervals into your long rides. I'm trying to go out 2 -3 times a week but with a full time job its pretty difficult finding the time!! I think that, like anything, the more practice you get the more improvements you see. Well thats what I keep telling myself anyway
    At the moment I am not using clip pedals after having a bad experience practicing with them!!!
    We could probably start a new thread on the issues that you will have with Triathlon.

It is a foregone conclusion that you will fall over in the first few attempts at clipping in and out. Get used to it and accept that it will happen again at the most stupid locations in front of everyone - most likely traffic lights.

Accept the fact that you will become hooked on carbon. Black naked most likely and that you will have to sell your family and remortgage your house 3 times to pay for it all.

Accept the fact the nice clothes you used to buy are replaced with tri-suits, bike gear, bike shoes, helmets

Water bottle collections become the norm. You can never have enough.

Your vanity will dissapear and you will think nothing of lashing on nutcream in full view of anyone

You will need to learn that anal devastation will happen - always just before the race.

You will look stupid in a wet-suit, accept this and you will be fine

The obiligatory mid pea fart. This has been well documented on the "other forum"

As you can see triathlon has many dark arts and going through your first season you will find that the turn to the dark side will happen. Just accept it like second nature.
    November would be the start of the duathlon season.
    duathletes - this is in other words triathletes who can't swim
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    Browny1980
    Surprisingly I picked up the swimming quite quickly and am now avaeraging 8 mins for my sprint swims.
    Just out of Interest is that a 750m swim time??

That's a Decent time!
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    shadowone1 wrote:
    November would be the start of the duathlon season.
    duathletes - this is in other words triathletes who can't swim
    That's all of us then
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Trisurfer wrote:
    Browny1980
    Surprisingly I picked up the swimming quite quickly and am now avaeraging 8 mins for my sprint swims.

That's a Decent time!
    Decent, I think most people doing 400m would be happy with that.
  • Trisurfer wrote:
    Browny1980

That's a Decent time!
    Unfortunately Tri, thats my 400m time. I'd be well happy with that time for 750!! Tbh the Tri's I have done have all been 400m apart from an Olympic I did which was 1500m. I think the main problem for me being a newcomer is knowing how much energy to conserve during the swim so I am ok'ish (not about to have a heart attack) when i get on the bike!!
  • shadowone1 wrote:
    At the moment I am not using clip pedals after having a bad experience practicing with them!!!
    We could probably start a new thread on the issues that you will have with Triathlon.

It is a foregone conclusion that you will fall over in the first few attempts at clipping in and out. Get used to it and accept that it will happen again at the most stupid locations in front of everyone - most likely traffic lights.

Accept the fact that you will become hooked on carbon. Black naked most likely and that you will have to sell your family and remortgage your house 3 times to pay for it all.

Accept the fact the nice clothes you used to buy are replaced with tri-suits, bike gear, bike shoes, helmets

Water bottle collections become the norm. You can never have enough.

Your vanity will dissapear and you will think nothing of lashing on nutcream in full view of anyone

You will need to learn that anal devastation will happen - always just before the race.

You will look stupid in a wet-suit, accept this and you will be fine

The obiligatory mid pea fart. This has been well documented on the "other forum"

As you can see triathlon has many dark arts and going through your first season you will find that the turn to the dark side will happen. Just accept it like second nature.
    Tbh I think that my turn to the Dark Side is nearly complete, however I am still to encounter the "anal devastation"....sounds pretty interesting!!

I have actually come to terms with looking like Dafyd in my tri suit and next season I look forward to uncovering more personal discrepancies that the lovely sprot of Tri seems to uncover every week!!
    Anal Devestation....

You have to accept this... it will happen. Regardless of how many times you race this will happen. Its one of those facts of tri.
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    Anal Devestation....
    Sounds like pay per view to me!