Home Chat General Chat

Turbo trainer recommendations

MowfMowf Posts: 272
I really need to improve on the bike to have any chance of taking chunks out of my times. So the time has come to bite the bullet and purchase a turbo trainer for winter sessions.

Does anyone have any reccomendations? I'm looking more towards the budget end to be honest - probably somethign in the 100 - 200 quid range.

And, while i am here, if anyone has any decent sessions (with an emphasis on building power/speed) they do that they wouldnt mind sharing that would be magic also.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    Cant say much about turbo trainers as I just bought one the one on ebay that was nearest to me
    £25

For training programmes that really do fly by....

http://www.turbotraining.co.uk/indoor_cycling_workout.php?id=323

Superb site!
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    I've got a cycleops fluid 2 which is excellent.

As the name suggests it's a fluid trainer so not noisy at all, resistance is excellent and having previously had a much more expensive one (twice the price) with lots of gadgets that were useless and I never used, I'd highly recomment the fluid 2.

It's the top of your budget but you get what you pay for!!

Having some training DVD's also (in my opinion), makes it all much more worthwhile as you have a structured training session that isn't too repetitive. I have a combination of DVD's, all of which are a bit cheesy but give some structure to the session.

Other people might have the knowledge/ experience to structure their own sessions but for me, these give the session a lot more meaning.
    I must add, that it was probably my best purchase training gear wise over the last couple of years as there were long periods last winter where I just couldn't get out on the road and had it not been for my turbo, my Ironman training plan would have been in serious jeopardy!

I have done at least one session on it a week throughout the year, up to 3 in the winter.
  • I agree i have a cycleops fluid 2 and it's great but very hard work though! The harder you pedal the more the resistance.
  • sonofsammosonofsammo Posts: 191
    Just bought a Fluid 2 and am eagerly awaiting delivery from Winsatanleys Bikes - They were the cheapest by far at £170 - Here's a link if you're interested...
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/7683/CycleOps_Fluid_2_Trainer_2007
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Another one for the Fluid 2...mine is good. it does what it needs to, isn't too loud (which was handy as i was using it at 5am during IM training to get a good 2 hours in before work over the winter) and flods up to a bit smaller to be put away under the stairs quite easily. can't say if its better than anything else as its the only one i've used.
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Wish I had the Fluid2, so I guess that's a recommendation.
    I have the CycleOps Magneto, which is the next one down in the range.
    Saying that, if I had the budget then the Tacx Flow would be what I'd get, as it's computer shows Watts.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Save your money and don't get one. Just to balance it up. I got one last year and hated it. Went out on hybrid/MTB instead.
    Having given the fluid 2 the thumbs up, I'd also recommend what Triumphant says, albeit that I don't mean not get one, but get out on your MTB instead.

I did some excellent night time rides in Epping Forest, having said that, I crapped myself on every one due to things that go bump in the night and also nearly collided with a deer on a steep fast downhill.

Good for the adrenaline, not so good on the nerves!!!

Turbo is much less stressfull but probably not as interesting!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    wyno70 wrote:
    Turbo is much less stressfull but probably not as interesting!
    Ah but it is more interesting than watching paint dry...marginally...if you don't like watching paint dry that is...or if it is plain white paint, not a bright colour or something...