Home Chat General Chat
Options

Disc wheel strength

So I was all pleased with myself that I'd snagged an old Hed disc wheel for a decent price, but having put a query to Hed, their tech guy has advised the maximum rider weight they recommend is around 170lbs.

Gold star to Hed for good customer service, responding to emails on a product they didn't sell (or they did but it was like 10 years ago!

However my problem is this, I'm around 15stone, so well over the stipulated weight limit. Do I just chance it and hope the gods look favourably on me....or do I re-sell it and buy something stronger?

What's your views?

Comments

• Options
    nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    I wouldn't risk it.
    I'll take it off your hands for £25 and your thanks for saving you from road rash or worse

Ermmmm... seriously, 179lb is only what 12 stone ish? Are you sure they gave you the right number; it seems quite light...
  • Options
    shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Hmm that seems very light Tesser...

I know you're a big guy Tesser but I would suspect that the wheel will be fine and dandy. Take it for a ride, you'll know if the wheel flexes as it will rub off the brakes.

However, I'm sure HED disc wheels have spokes with the disc covering them up.... could be wrong on that one though