Home Chat General Chat

wetsuit swimming

Hi all
might be a daft question, only just started doing open water swimming ready for tatton OD.
Does anyone have an idea of how much open water/wetsuit swimming can add or take off your time for same distance in the pool???
Keep forgetting to take watch!!!

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002
    it probably depends on how strong a swimmer you are, but many people see a small-ish improvement in their times when using a wettie. this is usually attributed to the bouyancy provided in the legs improving the body position in the water, but may also be as a result of getting into a continuous rhythm and not stop-starting with turns so much.

i've not done very many 1500m sets in the pool this year and only one oly so far, but i was about a minute up in the lake and suspect i could get a bit more off that.
  • Generally, feedback is that wetsuit swimming is marginally quicker than non-wetsuit, -10%?

But in OW it does depend on how well you sight. Sight and swim straight, and you'll be quicker in a wetsuit, zig-zag and . . .
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    TRIumphant wrote:
    Generally, feedback is that wetsuit swimming is marginally quicker than non-wetsuit, -10%?

But in OW it does depend on how well you sight. Sight and swim straight, and you'll be quicker in a wetsuit, zig-zag and . . .
    ..and dont forget that you'll be in the "washing machine" of other swimmers.
    +1 that swimming feels easier/quicker in a wetsuit.
  • Just reviewed my results and they are consistent. 1km in a pool takes 20 minutes, 1 km in OW race takes 20 mins. So aqua-ruck slows me down, sighting slows me down, wetsuit speeds me up, and speed gains are balanced by slowing, so pool swim speed = OW swim speed.
  • cheers for help so far
    At moment I'm on about 30min pace in pool in lane with others so bit of dodging round etc and in baggy shorts.
    so was hoping for 30 mins or under for OW
    Not been too bad at sighting up to now, the "scrum" might make a difference.
    I put down I was a beginner swimmer thinking they meant OW swimming and not just swimming in general.
    Think I've shot myself in the foot there tho as the first wave at tatton starts at 7.15 and i like a lie in lol
    lets just hope it goes beginners in alphabetical order
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    Best ever tip I got from someone about Ow swim starts whilst a little unsporting does work.....about 30s or so before the start make out ur struggling a little, thrash about, clear your nose retch...that kind of thing.....watch as the space appears around you.
    Its the tri equivalent of farting in a public place - which by the way dos nt work at the start of an OW swim.
  • dhcmdhcm Posts: 67
    I swim 1500 in 31 mins in pool, and 30 mins in open water tri. So for me a little quicker, but not massively so. Which is a pity coz I need any help I can get!
  • This question comes up quite a bit... and I'm afraid the answer is pretty much 'it varies'.

As others have said, a wetsuit may increase your straight line speed by correcting your body position. But if your position doesn't need much correction then you won't get any benefit. On the other hand it may restrict your movement and slow you down...

Here's all the +ves and -ves I can think of for wetsuits and OW generally.

You are faster in OW because:
    Wetsuit corrects your body position
    Wetsuit is better hydrodynamically (less lumps and bumps and very smooth)
    Wetsuit keeps you warm enough to actually do the swim
    You can get your head down in OW and settle into a rythmn

You are slower in OW because:
    Wetsuit restricts your shoulder movement
    Wetsuit makes you over-rotate
    Wetsuit bouyancy can effectively make your kick powerless
    You don't get a push off the pool side (this is worth many, many strokes)
    You will be unsettled because of the guy next to you repeatedly hitting your head
    You can't swim straight and/or sighting interrupts your stroke.
    There may be a current, waves and/or wind to slow you down.

There's probably a lot more. Here's a funny thing: in a 25m pool I do 14 strokes when I'm cruising. In a 50m pool I do 32-34 strokes at the same pace! That push off is worth a lot of speed and stroke and you're missing out on 60 of them in an OD race.

All these factors will affect you more or less depending on your ability and experience. I have friends who are noticeably quicker in their wettie in OW. Personally, I'm a little bit slower in OW.

I reckon that putting apart the very fast and the very slow your OW swim speed is about the same as your pool speed.

Now, let's talk about OW swimming when wetties are banned.
  • Bopomofo wrote:
    But how often does that happen when contending with the Great British weather?
  • I put down I was a beginner swimmer thinking they meant OW swimming and not just swimming in general.
    Think I've shot myself in the foot there tho as the first wave at tatton starts at 7.15 and i like a lie in lol
    last year the first wave was for the quick people. i know from bitter experience 'cos i ended up in it somehow and was almost last out the water. on the plus side, i had plenty of clear water pretty much from the start.
  • Bopomofo wrote:
    This question comes up quite a bit... and I'm afraid the answer is pretty much 'it varies'.

As others have said, a wetsuit may increase your straight line speed by correcting your body position. But if your position doesn't need much correction then you won't get any benefit. On the other hand it may restrict your movement and slow you down...

Here's all the +ves and -ves I can think of for wetsuits and OW generally.

You are faster in OW because:
    Wetsuit corrects your body position
    Wetsuit is better hydrodynamically (less lumps and bumps and very smooth)
    Wetsuit keeps you warm enough to actually do the swim
    You can get your head down in OW and settle into a rythmn

You are slower in OW because:
    Wetsuit restricts your shoulder movement
    Wetsuit makes you over-rotate
    Wetsuit bouyancy can effectively make your kick powerless
    You don't get a push off the pool side (this is worth many, many strokes)
    You will be unsettled because of the guy next to you repeatedly hitting your head
    You can't swim straight and/or sighting interrupts your stroke.
    There may be a current, waves and/or wind to slow you down.

There's probably a lot more. Here's a funny thing: in a 25m pool I do 14 strokes when I'm cruising. In a 50m pool I do 32-34 strokes at the same pace! That push off is worth a lot of speed and stroke and you're missing out on 60 of them in an OD race.

All these factors will affect you more or less depending on your ability and experience. I have friends who are noticeably quicker in their wettie in OW. Personally, I'm a little bit slower in OW.

I reckon that putting apart the very fast and the very slow your OW swim speed is about the same as your pool speed.

Thanks you for the post.
    Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

• "last year the first wave was for the quick people. i know from bitter experience 'cos i ended up in it somehow and was almost last out the water. on the plus side, i had plenty of clear water pretty much from the start."

OOO good might get a lie in then, dont fancy starting at 7.15 lol
    you doing it again this year?