Home Chat General Chat

OW swimming

Hey all,

Just had someone tell me I should be taken some sort of tablet to stop belly ache after open water swimming?

Is that right?

Blinkybaz

Comments

• Never had an issue with OW swimming, no matter where I've done it. Had the odd issue after surfing, but you generally know you'll be in for something before you enter the water as there is a scum at the waters edge (nice).
  • Are they medically trained? Did they say any pill in particular? I'd be tempted to ignore their advice...
  • Someone will probably be along in a minute saying to drink a can of Coke after an OW swim, it's supposed to kill everything in your stomach (doubtful though!)
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    TRIumphant wrote:
    Someone will probably be along in a minute saying to drink a can of Coke after an OW swim, it's supposed to kill everything in your stomach (doubtful though!)
    ..and yet it works
    Years of jet skiing in local water areas and now swimming canals (the last time was completely covered with duck weed, and previous to that we've also bumped into a dead decomposing wildfowl carcass ) but still yet to suffer.
    I say why mess with a winning formula!
  • I have found I develop an extraordinary amount of gas after an OW swim, but find it rather warming on the bike, so will skip the pill and keep on offering more tea to the vicar.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Not medically trained and she has no experience just a worry wort I fear! She will be swimming with me tomorrow.

HHHMMMMM COKE urban myth or placebo? Maybe with some polo's
  • I tried the coke after swimming in the Liffey (Dublin) in a recent Tri .... I don't know if it killed anything in my stomach but I didn't have any sickness and got a nice kick from the caffeine ....

Will prob drink it again, if I do that Tri next season ....
  • Simple Fact coke is shite.......

Drink too much it rots your Gut

Coke use the syrup to clean the engine bay of their lorries.......

I believe the the urban legend anything that can leave my teeth feeling dry and squeeky after 1 mouthful has gotta kill loads of stuff....and wind propulsion on the bike..........bonus
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Re coke, pills, magic mushrooms, crystals etc to kill lurgs, I thought that is why God, nature, the force etc gave us gastric juices (hydrochloric acid) seem to remember burning a hole in my blazer at school with some HCl - the days when we didn't faff, about with safety glasses, masks, gloves, cotton wool wrapping etc. and had this concept of individual responibility - sorry rant over.

Anyway, flat coke is reputed to have settling properties but this link disputes that
    http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/04April/Pag ... hBugs.aspx

As coke is acidic it seems counterintuitive to use it to settle a stomach upset, having said that have used it myself. Ginger and mint are effective and part of the natural remedy medicine chest for centuries.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i doubt that coke has a higher ph than stomach acid, otherwise it would eat through all sorts of stuff - let alone tooth enamel!