Home Chat General Chat

Pre-registration for IM UK 2011

For anyone interested in something to do on July 31st 2011 I've just noticed that pre-registration for Ironman UK 2011 has opened on the website.

Comments

• sonofsammosonofsammo Posts: 191
    Yup - Done it
    Oh dear....
  • grant1974grant1974 Posts: 262
    If I was going to go, 'long' in britain it wouldn't be with IM i'm afraid. I went to watch at Bolton last year, quite simply awful. This year doesn't seem to have improved at all if what I read on the web is to be believed.

Apparently Outlaw was a huge success, plus Challenge are meant to be doing an event in the UK in 2011, I would trust them over Tri UK any day.

Sorry to be down on the event, but I'm sick of paying inflated entry fees to be treated like a number on race day...
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    grant.smith wrote:
    If I was going to go, 'long' in britain it wouldn't be with IM i'm afraid. I went to watch at Bolton last year, quite simply awful. This year doesn't seem to have improved at all if what I read on the web is to be believed.

Apparently Outlaw was a huge success, plus Challenge are meant to be doing an event in the UK in 2011, I would trust them over Tri UK any day.

Sorry to be down on the event, but I'm sick of paying inflated entry fees to be treated like a number on race day...
    Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. Truly memorable event.
  • grant1974grant1974 Posts: 262
    TRIumphant wrote:
    [quote="grant.smith":71komrfx]If I was going to go, 'long' in britain it wouldn't be with IM i'm afraid. I went to watch at Bolton last year, quite simply awful. This year doesn't seem to have improved at all if what I read on the web is to be believed.

Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. Truly memorable event.[/quote:71komrfx]

Everyone has there own opinion TRIumphant, you obviously don't agree but that doesn't make me wrong or you right. I have been a spectator and competitor at loads of IM and none IM events in Britain and abroad, I would do a IM event abroad, but not in Britain. Tri UK are just not up to the job in hand in my opinion, they don't seem to have learnt anything from Bolton year 1. But if you have done the event and enjoyed it, then that's the most important thing, but being a spectator put me off the event for good I'm afraid.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    by grant.smith » 11 Aug 2010 13:43

You must be reading in the wrong places. Organisation was spot on, atmosphere was brilliant, competitors were amamzing...TRiumphant sums it up just nicely - truely memorable event.

I certainly didn't feel like just a number and I'm glad I took part in IMUK as my first ever race and for the record I have experienced the big race abroad atmosphere/ organisation and IMUK was no worse and no better
    Just for clarity, I am talking IM UK 2010, didn't so, or spectate IM UK 2009, so can't comment. Yes, general feedback on 2009 event was that the organisation was lacking, but the feedback on 2010 is that they'd dealt with the issues.
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    IM UK was fantastic with no issues at all from my perspective......where as the Outlaw.....

I have a bout 10 friends who did outlaw this year and they all said there was massive issues with not enough feed stations on the run and issues with the ones that were there! and these guys all finished in top 50...

Pacesetter events will not doubt 'iron' out (like it?:p) the issues for next year......

IMHO IM UK was faultless.....

I have signed up for pre registration....but may not take the offer up when it is officially open....depends what I decide my goals are for next year as I would like to do a 'fast' course IM.
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    For anyone interested in something to do on July 31st 2011 I've just noticed that pre-registration for Ironman UK 2011 has opened on the website.
    I'm in; btw cant see where that date is confirmed....
  • Sorry grant.smith you must have been at a different IMUK 2010. I was a volunteer last year and yes I would agree that organisation issues at Rivington Reser were not up to it. having everything in the middle of a field with the North West weather...not a good combo.

But hey they learned, having registration at Leigh was a great idea and the swim and T1 were really well organised and set up. T2 was well run, smooth and efficient.
    More water and Gatorade on the course than you could shake a stick at and the volunteers were fantastic....I made it my business to thank each and everyone of them for the support ALL day. Without them there truly isnt an event.

So going off this years learning curve next year should even better...........the more you support 'your own' countries Ironman the better it will become, thats a massive reason why Switzerland and Austria for example are so popular....everyone gets behind it
    From my perspective I can't comment from a spectator's view at last years event but from the perspective of this years, it was spot on. The registration at Leigh - top notch and plenty of parking, T1 - I had my car booked in and there was plenty of room. The marhsalls were brilliant as were the rotary club who were helping out and lets not forget the people who, off their own backs, were giving out water, wet towels, and jelly babies on the run.

The support was cracking and I savoured up the atmosphere as I went along. I also made an effort to thank as many of the marhsalls, volunteers , crowd whereever I could.....

As much as I would like to register for next year, doing the event took so much away from my home life that it felt like IM took over. So for me I'm revising my goals and pegging it at HIM, but then I might change that.... cause IM is awesome!!
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Amazing how different the views can be. Feedback on Tritalk on the Outlaw is overwhelmingly positive, and considering it's the first year that OSB have done a long event, I think it's an enormous credit to them. Seems to show that the Premium associated with IMUK is unwarranted. (Yes, I'm still pi$$ed off that in 11 hours volunteering at IMUK I only got a sandwich to eat, and haven't even had a thank you email)
    Nivagh,

I emailed IMUK about my time as I stupildy left my timing chip in the hotel and that I wanted my time splits. The person who emailed me back had mentioned that they had over 2000 emails to get through and that was just about the race.... you may find that you get your thankyou email.... its the least you guys deserved.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Nivagh, rest assured email or not you know that the competitors will be very grateful for you and everyone elso who volunteerd so even though I didn't do IMUK thank you and well done from me. I have only volunteered once but it was nice to put back.

Re Outlaw I think because the Outlaw was so markedly British and also picked up on the local history it had that 'feeling' to it.

It was not universally popular though, there was a bit of bad feeling from a couple of local residents, well one bloke who spouted off to the local rag and a farm shop. Seems there was a breakdown in communication between the local/parish councils/local populace who confused the Outlaw with the annual Southwell tri and didn't realise what impact it was going to have. I sent congratulatory emails to all the local authorities and hope others did as well.

Undoubtedly OSB put on a mega job, 300 volunteers, 550 lights for the run, 3,000 litres of coke etc.

Anyway well done for volunteering.
  • Have pre registered for this too.

One small point that I read (think it was on the IM UK website) was that 8000 people preregsitered last year so when you get the email that registration is actually open (it was early December last year apparently) then get online and pay up immediately or you might miss the boat!
    That was the case, but only about 1400 actually signed up. I know quite a few registered a few times, work and home emails etc.

Tale from this year. I decided early on that I was going to do IM UK, so pre-registered, and got the emails saying that entry opens up in 24 hours time, at 9am. So, at 8:25'ish I was in front of the computer, credit card in hand, and thought I'd give entering a go, 35 minutes, but what the hell. Surprisingly, I got entered, so could sit back and panic. Now, the funny thing is, that TriUK allocate race numbers in order that people entered, so the sooner you entered, the lower your number. I entered so early I was number 29 on the day, the Pro's were number 2-22, so I rakced alongside them which meant at T1 they were long gone, and I had room around me Also, when I registered on the Saturday, and gave the number "29", everyone looked at me as if I was going to be fast I soon corrected them
  • Now that sounds like a good plan
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Hey Tri, were you able to blag your way intp the VIP enclosure?
    Unfortunately, no.
  • Hi all. First post ..... But love the forum and all the comments/advice. Just pre registered for for IM UK! Now the doubts have set in and haven't told her indoors yet ... Who can't get her head around my last 2 years of tri after 20 years of inactivity. I started off with 1 sprint, got the bug with many more sprints and a few olympics. It's a big jump to IM and few months to get my head around it before pulling out the credit card.
    Talk soon.
  • Don't worry Daragh. It was this time last year that I signed up to IM Regensburg and UK 70.3 having never done triathlon before...I didn't even own a road bike. I also had to go through the trauma of explaining to my other half what I'd done, and how much it was going to cost!!!!

One year on and I've completed both events, beating my target time on each, and I'm planning next year's challenge..... So get that credit card out and woo the Mrs. with the idea of a romantic weekend in Bolton (she'll have plenty of time to learn the reality)!!!!
  • . . . and the language (accent)
  • Since <a href=http://www.abercrombie.us.com/><strong>Abercrombie and Fitch </strong></a> gold accessories are trendy, stock up on golden hoop earrings, <a href=http://www.abercrombie.us.com/><strong>Abercrombie </strong></a> long necklaces with fashionable pendants, and rings with prominent centerpieces. <a href=http://www.abercrombie.us.com/><strong&gt; buy Abercrombie </strong></a> Women’s accessories make your personality and creativity shine. Update your look and pay attention <a href=http://www.abercrombie.us.com/><strong>Abercrombie Sale </strong></a> to what you want your look to be. Express yourself and put your personal <a href=http://www.abercrombie.us.com/><strong&gt; Cheap Abercrombie </strong></a> style to the fore through these catchy accessories and fashion finds. They spice up any <a href=http://www.abercrombie.us.com/><strong>Abercrombie outlet </strong></a> dress and give you that radiant glow.Costume Jewelry.Pieces of costume jewelry really fashion forward pieces that can make you stand out. <a href=http://www.abercrombie.us.com/><strong>Abercrombie clothing </strong></a> They are beautifully crafted with stones of different kinds, beads of various colors, and fashion forward styles. Costume jewelry may look a little too much when paired with a dress that already stands out. In order to balance the look, make sure to wear one with a simple dress or <a href=http://www.abercrombie.us.com/Abercrombie-Outerwears><strong>Abercrombie Outerwears </strong></a> top.Handbags are every woman’s best friend. Functional and aesthetically appealing, these fashion accessories come in different styles these days. Don’t just go for the <a href=http://www.abercrombie.us.com/><strong>abercrombie & fitch </strong></a> generic black leather bag.
  • Since Abercrombie and Fitch gold accessories are trendy, stock up on golden hoop earrings, Abercrombie long necklaces with

fashionable pendants, and rings with prominent centerpieces. buy Abercrombie Women’s accessories make your personality and creativity shine. Update your look and pay attention

Abercrombie Sale to what you want your look to be. Express yourself and put your personal Cheap Abercrombie style to the fore

through these catchy accessories and fashion finds. They spice up any Abercrombie outlet dress and give you that radiant glow.Costume Jewelry.Pieces of costume jewelry really

fashion forward pieces that can make you stand out. Abercrombie clothing They are beautifully crafted with stones of different kinds, beads of various colors, and fashion forward

styles. Costume jewelry may look a little too much when paired with a dress that already stands out. In order to balance the look, make sure to wear one with a simple dress or Abercrombie Outerwears[/url] top.Handbags are every woman’s best friend. Functional and aesthetically appealing, these fashion accessories come in different styles these days. Don’t just go for the

[url=http://www.abercrombie.us.com/:13qaet5k]abercrombie & fitch
    generic black leather bag.