Home Chat General Chat

sprained ankle

i sprained my ankle nearly three weeks ago and its still swollen

does anyone know of a way to reduce the swelling? i used ice to bring it out but seems to be taking ages to go down (about another 2 weeks i think)

Comments

• MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation is the way to go. It's very basic but it works.

Having said that 3 weeks for swelling to go down seems like a very long time to me. Is it possible you have done something more than just sprain it? How did you hurt it and has a doctor looked at it?

Mike
  • i did it whilst out running

got it checked at A&E and they said that it wasnt broken and just a bad sprain, she said it may take 2-3 weeks to sort but am getting restless now as all i can really do at moment is swim and its reducing my training time for bath half marathon on 24th march
  • MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    In that case I think all you can do is continue with the RICE. Try and ice it three times a day. Also look at getting an ankle support, something like http://wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?Main=CategoryProducts.aspx&Cat=cycle&w=0&CategoryName=First%20Aid%20Kits

which you can wear all day. This reduces swelling and helps circulation.

Mike

• guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    Ibuprofen does wonders for swelling also try to massage the scar tissue away. I am not qualified to give this kind of advice but I broke my shin and ankle last summer and it takes ages to recover I have only been running pain free for the last month and I did it last May. Try to bike if possible as its less pressure. The pain stops quite quickly with the pedalling action (try not to stand too much).