Home Chat General Chat

What to do when it rains on race day????

Hi All,

Just trying to prepare myself for all eventualities.

What do you guys & gals do if it's peeing it down on race day?

Do you chuck a cycling jacket over your tri gear?

How do you stop all your transition gear getting wet?

Cheers,

Pat...

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    You're already wet from the swim so crack on

Gear is going to get wet for the bike and run but a towel/plastic bag will help keep them dryish until you put them on

Picture below from the Club relays (not me) - was quite entertaining in the rain[attachment=0:ywormitp]relays.jpg[/attachment:ywormitp]

Worst one I did in the rain was Rother Valley 2008, going down a hill in the rain with a sharp right hand with crappy brakes - interesting

But Coneheads solution is better race in California, Florida and Hawaii ... aah can but dream
  • I just stay wet on the bike and run.

Different matter if it's cold and wet.

In transition - I have a plastic box - turn it upside down. Simples
  • AvoneerAvoneer Posts: 174
    Hmmmm, plastic box upside down - likey that one.

Guess I'll have to show my mix of Yorkshire and Salford grit and get on with it.

Doing Buxton tri in 2 weeks and I can see it being wet, cold, windy and hilly.

What more can one ask?

Conehead - MTFU ya big wuss ;-)

Pat...
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    When I was doing a local sprint - the weather was total shit. Got on the bike and it was hammering it down. My feet were numb and so were my hands. I just decided to push harder and harder to get the bike leg over and done with.

the run wasn't much better either but I nailed it...
  • ...Or drill some holes inthe bottom of your plastic box. I got back to T2 once to find my banana floating in 2 inches of water.

Anyway... obvious stuff: if it is pissing down maybe don't go with rubber-banding your shoes onto your bike. Put 'em on in T1. And remember to put your bike and run shoes upside down on your towel, otherwise they'll be little paddling pools waiting to give you blisters.

Clothing doesn't change for me if it is raining. Tri-suit all the way. You're wet when you start and wet when you finish anyway. I've done races in snow and hail in my tri-suit. If I'm cold, I bloody well work harder.
  • Stay in trisuit dont bother with a jacket etc...

If its cold I stick arm warmers on.....

I use the toes covers on my shoes too, keeps your toes warm which will help on the run:)

No need to bother with a box in transition either.

Put all your kit out on a towel with both pairs of shoes upside down.

Still amazes me why people have great big boxes.....

T1 - all you need is....

Bike - Wont fit in the box
    Bike shoes - put either on your bike or upside down on a towel
    Helmet - on the floor or on your handlebars
    Glasses - in your helmet
    Race belt - in your helmet

T2 -

Run shoes - upside down on towel
    Gel - if you need one
    Socks - if you use them or if you havent already put them on - inside your shoes
    Hat - if its hot

Why do you need a box? you just end up routing around for stuff in a blind panic and youll forget to do something...

Like everyone else says you start wet so why not end wet?
  • Race1Race1 Posts: 58
    I have a large box. I use it to carry my stuff into Transition. And then I dump the wetsuit in it at T1. My "idea" is that it will stop people picking it up by mistake. I don't actually use it during the race as such. Everything goes onto my towel.

I suppose I could ask what people do when it rains on a training day? I'm sure most here will have trained in downpours and snow flurries.
  • pippip Posts: 170
    Got my gloves,cycling cape and wellis at the ready.Oh and scarf just in case i feel a chill around my neck
    Quite right musn't forget your scarf

I think CH has the right idea - scoot off the Califonia for the winter
  • AvoneerAvoneer Posts: 174
    Cycling cape - now there's an idea........

Can you still actually by them?

I could get a carbon kite pole and make a sail out of as well at the same time!

Pat...
  • hussler. wrote:
    Stay in trisuit dont bother with a jacket etc...

If its cold I stick arm warmers on.....

I use the toes covers on my shoes too, keeps your toes warm which will help on the run:)

No need to bother with a box in transition either.

Put all your kit out on a towel with both pairs of shoes upside down.

Still amazes me why people have great big boxes.....

T1 - all you need is....

Bike - Wont fit in the box
    Bike shoes - put either on your bike or upside down on a towel
    Helmet - on the floor or on your handlebars
    Glasses - in your helmet
    Race belt - in your helmet

T2 -

Run shoes - upside down on towel
    Gel - if you need one
    Socks - if you use them or if you havent already put them on - inside your shoes
    Hat - if its hot

Why do you need a box? you just end up routing around for stuff in a blind panic and youll forget to do something...

Like everyone else says you start wet so why not end wet?

Have to agree, the more gear more time spending on making sure everything is alright and in situ.

I
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Tried the box once...rained...filled with water...also couldn't steer bike & carry kit, it got very ugly.
    i now have a backpack with too many compartments & pockets, but easily carried.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    zac: Worst one I did in the rain was Rother Valley 2008, going down a hill in the rain with a sharp right hand with crappy brakes - interesting

Sounds familiar... Blithfield 2009... but an S bend...

[attachment=1:30q4r074]1.jpg[/attachment:30q4r074][attachment=0:30q4r074]2.jpg[/attachment:30q4r074]
    Ouch
  • JUst do what most of the tri population does.......spread your stuff out so that your in everybody else's way, then when they put their towels down all your stuff will be under that!!!!!!!