Home Chat General Chat

Cycling to work

Matt,

I used cycling to work as part of my base training. My distance was much shorter (Liverpool Street to Waterloo) about 4km each way so I used it to get used to cycling for the first time in a decade. I was using a folding bike so the cadence was quite high but perfect for tri training. I found that overall fitness shot up. I then did two long cycles a week in addition on the road bike.

I'd stick with it as its a great way to improve fitness and bike handling etc. but add a decent long cycle at the weekend, possibly as part of a brick session, to improve your overall time.

Wella

Comments

• Anyone any thoughts on putting down cycling to work as part of training plans or not? I'm a novice and so looking to do a lot of base level training. My route is 20km from Kingston to Westminster and did it with a HRM the other day. I instantly go up to 90% of max going up Kingston Hill but then level out to 70-75% (which is where I want to be). However once you get into traffic it goes up and down all the time and there no consistency ranging from 40% (at traffic lights) to 80% (some free road)

I hoping to do Windsor Olympic in under 3 hours this year (I did London in 3 hours 10 mins last year). My cycle was weak and my hunch is that if I rely on my commute 3-4 times a week as my only training, I could struggle again. However it is a great way of combining training and getting to see the wife and kids!!

Any thoughts on this would be welcome!
  • I would definately use cycling to work as part of training.

20km is a good dostance as well.

Remember, a lot of people are struggling to fit in 20km a week so you are doing quite well. However, I would try and extend 2 or 3 of those rides (probably homeward bound) a week to get the training over the correct distance.

• mark26mark26 Posts: 10
    I would try to keep to a higher cadence 90 - 100 which may help with the heart rate.

Also possibly extend one of the rides home for some extra distance.

A long bike on Sunday morning is a must I usually go very early 0600 and still get back in time for the family!!
  • MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    I also ride through London as part of my daily commute and think it does count towards my training. No it isn't as good as a long run at a sensible pace but it all helps. I then go out for a couple of longer rides at the weekend.

Another thing I do is to tag a run onto the end of the commute home as it is easier to get a decent run in where I am during the week than it is a ride.

Mike

• You can't beat cycling to work. I commute about 30miles in total each day, its about the only cycling I do.

As you have stated it is an easy way to get training without impacting too much on family life.

Unlike you, i do live in the country and don't have any traffic lights so can have a constant speed but do vary the sessions so have some high cadence sessions, high intensity sessions and even try some single leg sessions (nice empty roads).

Enjoy the ride to work, its the best feeling knowing you have already had a session.
  • Cheers for the comments v useful. General feeling is that yes, it should be seen as an important part of training and if I just wanted to get round then that is probably all I need to do. As I'm determined to break the 3 hours this year then I think I'll have to throw in a bit of variety and will probably wait until the clocks go forward and get some laps of Richmond Park in on my way home and throw in a few brick sessions as well.

I was thinking about this as I read somewhere about 'junk' training sessions i.e. not that useful, although it didn't really state what they were. Does anyone know what is meant by 'junk' training sessions?
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    Riding to work is the best start to the day. I also run at dinner times that way my training doesn't affect my family at all.
  • Last year I had a run in with a police man on the M62 and wasn't allowed to drive for 28 days. This meant that I had no choice but to use my bike to go to work. This extra riding time meant that I was able to complete my next sprint triathlon in less that 56 minutes. This was a massive improvement. I now ride to work everyday and are still seeing the benifits.

• Yep, I agree with all.... Cycling to work helps, but if you can incorporate a run in your lunch hour, you'll feel great for the afternoon and home time is your own time! Weekend riding has no substitute though. Join a club, it'll motivate you to go out even when the weather says "stay at home" (they turn out to be the best rides!). Make sure you get a longer ride at some point during the week.