Home Chat Race Chat

Buxton Tri with Xtra Mile Events

AvoneerAvoneer Posts: 174
Hi All,

I'm bloody hooked now, despite my running injuries!

Has anyone done the Buxton Tri?

What's it like?

Is it hilly - or more hilly than Leeds Xpress Tri?

Pat...

Comments

• jrhunt78jrhunt78 Posts: 43
    ahhh.....Buxton!

Buxton was my first tri last year. Expect plenty of hills...or should I say one big one! Really enjoyed it though and would love to do it again this year.

BTW now I think its not at Buxton this year - It's New Mills - the pool is out of action apparently
  • fire trifire tri Posts: 173
    indeed it is now at new mills
    nice course, but one big hill really towards the end and a short sharp one at the start
  • AvoneerAvoneer Posts: 174
    Hi All,

Booked and raring to go.

Did the bike route last week to see what it was like and it's hard.

Long dual carriage way stretch which had a head on wind and lots of cars flying past - had to dig deep for that.

Lots of long ups as well, but an awesome long down 3/4 of the way round then flat to the finish so you can give it all on the hill and then coast down - hit nearly 50mph and could have gone faster, but it was windy and I was holding on for dear life.

26th September - bring it on.

Pat...
  • This is going to be my first tri - thought I'd treat myself to an endurance event for my birthday! Does anyone know if swim caps are compulsory for this one?
    Nope - none required with Xtra Mile Event pool swims.

Good luck.

What number are you?

Pat...

P.S. Done a couple of events now with XME so feel free to ask any questions. If I can't answer them, there's folk on here that can.
  • Thanks!

I'm 152 - my goal is not to be last. Anything else is a bonus!
    Think I'm 41.

Just finished getting the bike ready and then my b'stard rear mech disintigrated!

Got the TT bike ready which I was trying not to use until next year so will be fun if it's windy with it's deep section front and rear wheels.

Come say hello....

Pat...
  • Hey up Pat
    Good luck for tmoz, have you checked the weather?
    Should be a nice day, plenty of sunshine but chilly that time in the morning for most starters, but the wind aint looking good, accuweather says 16, so i'm assuming thats kph as my app for weather says 10mph,
    not to bad you say!!!
    but the hill goes s to n and its a northerly wind

I'll be cheering you all on and pointing you in the right direction at the right turn before the hill i think, as I couldnt get in so marshaling now

Good racing all
    Ian
    Thanks Ian.

Just swapped the deep front wheel for my "poverty" Shimano road wheel just in case.

Pat...
  • well done all!
    weather was a LOT better than the forecast, got bloody cold towards the end!!
    Well it was cold at the bottom of the hill!!!!!

Much appreciated all the thank you's I got from competitors as they went past, makes it worth while volunteering to help out when you know people appreciate it.
    Hi,

Yeap - was a good day - bit chilly out of the pool.

Some good marshalls as well, even some of the kids which were actually helpful - well done you lot.

Managed to hobble over the finish line in 16th.

Not bad for my 2nd tri and having to grit my teeth through my running injuries.

Will do a race report shortly.

Pat...

[img:1j9a7z7m]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs329.ash2/60891_1604096312059_1525678030_31481128_1926489_n.jpg[/img:1j9a7z7m]
  • Nice action shot