Home Chat General Chat

Bike training

Would like to know what training/technique i would require to get faster on my bike? I have a 14 gear old Claude Butler and feel like its slowing me down compared to all the bikes i race against but dont want this to be an excuse!

Comments

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    1) get a turbo for the winter.

2) overgearing - ride your bike (road or turbo) in a gear too high (or two gears too high whatever) so you have to work harder. Builds strength

3) akin to 2... ride hills.

4) under-gearing - ride your bike (road or turbo) in a gear (or two) too low so you ride with a high cadence. Develops high leg speed.

Someone who knows what they are talking about will be along soon.

didds
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    and...

check your bike actually "fits" you. (Google "bike fit").

didds
  • Many thanks will have a go and see how i get on!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    + 1 for what Didds said

And

Hils Hills hills. When you have done them do some more. Hill repeats will make you stringer and faster on the flat1
  • Blinkybaz wrote:
    + 1 for what Didds said

And

Hils Hills hills. When you have done them do some more. Hill repeats will make you stringer and faster on the flat1
    Why. Surely speed come from fast leg turnover?
    Fast leg turn over comes from strenght! Hills build strength! You cadence is defo something that creates speed. If you dont have the strengh to spin the crank quick enough in higher gears you wont get the speed. IMO, I might be wrong but it works for me! Let me know your thoughts triumphant I value your opinion.
  • Isn't it a combination of both. You need the power, but if you can only turn the cranks at a cadence of 70rpm, then someone turning at 100rpm in the same gear will be quicker. Riding hills, and over/under gearing will give you the power, but you also need to do some high rpm intervals in order to get the body/muscles used to it.

Riding a 50/11 gearing at 80 rpm gives a theoretical speed of 45.8 kph, up the cadence to 120rpm and the speed jumps to 68.7kph.

I know you need the power to push the pedals, but you also need to turn at a high rpm to get the speed.
    Ok!

So heres the theries mashed together!

Hills will increase your power but you should also be training at some high cadence intervals. Thus creating a powerful crank turningstyle and an ability to change between cadence rpm to suit the needs of the race/envirmoent. Making you an all round better cyclisy.
  • Sorted!
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Hi

Surely the laws of physics say power=forcexspeed. Force is applied strength and cadence is the speed component. Can increase power by working on either strength or cadence or indeed on both - strength development is ultimately limited by your genetics.

As has been said hills build strength. You also need to do speed and high cadence work so that you develop the neuromuscular pathways which in turn make you an efficient & effective racing cyclist delivering that power as high speed.

Remember "specificity" in training is vital. If you race flat you have to include flat training.

If you do build really strong muscular legs think how they would effect your swim & run times - compare the muscular leg development of Phil Graves with Ali Brownlee and their splits when they compete against each other. In tri you can't have it all which is part of the fun.
  • Like what Harry D did there like the comparisson!
  • HarryD wrote:
    In tri you can't have it all which is part of the fun.
    I struggle with having any of it
    I get the all part of the fun!!!
  • I know some people rubbish it but i found my power output and speed increased when i started doing spin classes at the local gym. Providing you can find a decent group and teacher, you'll get off the bike after 45 mins weighing 2lbs less from all the sweting and your legs feeling like jelly.

I was doing 2no spin classes a week, and after 6 or 7 sessions i was able to maintain a higher rate of speed over a longer distance. It really helped with the sprint finishes that invriably happened at the end of every clubrun as well.

The other plus point was that on the tuesday morning session i was the only bloke in a group of sixteen lycra clad ladies. Bonus