Home Chat General Chat

Oh my achin' bones

Hi,

I'm in need of advice I've injured my ankle with two weeks to go before my first duathlon. I started with mile long intervals over six miles on a thursday night and following that did what was meant to be a long slow eight mile run on the sunday (7 min miles) . This is the first time I've ever run these distances in close proximity to one another and now although i'm able to walk with no pain whatsoever, the tendon at the front of my ankle appears to creak and I'm getting discomfort from swimming, cycling and running. I'm using the ice technique for fifteen minutes a day and it does seem to be calming it. Can anyone suggest whether i need to wait for the creaking to stop or just the pain to subside and has anyone experienced a similar injury and found a miracle two day recovery potion that isn't steriod based?[&:]

Comments

• I started with mile long intervals over six miles on a thursday night and following that did what was meant to be a long slow eight mile run on the sunday (7 min miles) .

[/quote]

Im definetly doing something wrong! 7min mile pace seems a bit more than a long slow eight mile run.
  • Bearing in mind, I'm the one incapable of moving at anything other than snail pace, I think that with hindsight it was me who got it wrong. I'm sure your pace doesn't leave you with disfunctional body parts after eight miles. We only had one group going out and they were a fairly proficient bunch. The next time I'll run with my bike in case they get too far ahead.
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    One thing I did when I had sciatica was similiar what you are doing with the ice method.

However I think it is better to do 5 minutes ice, 5 minutes hot water bottle, then 5 minutes ice. This works better.

The obvious also is to rest, but if you are like me, resting is for retirement.