Home Chat General Chat

Race Nerves / Excitment

Hi All,

Does anyone else get really excited/nervous when their number and details etc. arrive in the post/by email a week before the actual event.....

Or is it just me?

Pat...

Comments

• I know what you mean, despite all the training etc. getting the race pack suddenly makes it all seem a lot more "real".

Still nothing compared to the day itself though!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    I only get nervous after the event,when I have to start explaining my way out of a low results placing against my time and monetary expense.
    "You said it would make you faster.......!!!!!!!"
    "that money could have been spent on........,instead of going out on your new bike you could have painted the house.....!"
  • I always get excited when my Race Number comes through but for some reason have stopped getting nervous before a race!! Gutted really, as I think nerves are good for keeping focus and improving performance*

Jon e. I still have to experience this next year when I do have to start explaining bad races and increased expenditure to the Mrs!!!

* I have no scientific evidence to back this up!!
  • I too seem to follow Conehead. I'm never too nervous or overly excited prior to a race. But come race day never really nervous either. Probably because I'm only ever there to have a good day, enjoy myself, and get to the end. Nothing in my life will depend on how I perform, so there's no real pressure to perform, only pressure is from myself.
  • Race morning is like Christmas in reverse... opening the boot of the car to see what you've forgotten this time. Inner tubes, water bottle, running shoes, bike....
  • pippip Posts: 170
    I struggle like mad trying to get any sleep the night before any event whether it,s a tri or cyclosportive.It's a mixture of nerves and excitement.2 hours sleep before an Olympic or half iron is not good preparation,but i still get through them
  • Having just come to the end of my first season, my emotional state has followed a typical schedule.

Phase #1: Real excitment, at the point of identifying an event and actually signing up for it.
    Phase #2: Amazement (and a little bit of pride), that I'm actually going to do what I set out to back at the beginning of the year.
    Phase #3: Nerves, as the event gets closer and I start walking through in my mind what is required to finish within my target time (I may be slow, but a target is a target)
    Phase #4: Sh*tting bricks, as I sit down to my porridge on race day
    Phase #5: Excitment, as I wait for my wave to be called
    Phase #6: Sheer joy, as during the race I see my baby daughter (5 months) holding a "come on daddy" notice.
    Phase #7: Utter elation, I've finished
    Phase #8: Stupidity, as I start thinking that an Ironman could well be within reach. (I've done two sprints and a Duathlon)
  • wayfarer wrote:
    Phase #8: Stupidity, as I start thinking that an Ironman could well be within reach. (I've done two sprints and a Duathlon)
    I'm with you on #8, nearly signed up for challenge Henley this morning but realistically I think I need a bit more time and experience before going long.

When I started this I told myself I wasn't bothered about doing a long distance tri but I think I changed my mind after watching Ironman UK recently and then having an IM come to my hometown is just a sign that I have to do it, right?
  • SickBoy wrote:
    nearly signed up for challenge Henley this morning but realistically I think I need a bit more time and experience before going long.

When I started this I told myself I wasn't bothered about doing a long distance tri but I think I changed my mind after watching Ironman UK recently and then having an IM come to my hometown is just a sign that I have to do it, right?
    Do it. Today is 22/09/2010, Challenge Henley is 18/09/2011, you've got 12 months between now and then. If you read the training plans in BeIronFit they are only 30 weeks long, which means you don't have to start proper training until mid February 2011.

I did IM UK this year off of 30 weeks or focused IM training, and only my 2nd year of Tri. It seems impossible, but once you get into the training, you realise that it isn't. It's time consuming and painful, but not impossible.
  • having an IM come to my hometown is just a sign that I have to do it, right?
    They pitched up just for you, Sickie. Jeez, how much of a hint do you need?