Home Chat General Chat

Kona Coverage on TV??

Hi all,

Does anyone know which channels will be showing coverage (live preferably) of the World champs in Kona?? I have scoured the tinternet and cant find it anywhere....

If anyone knows, please could you let me know.

Cheers

Dave

Comments

• I couldn't find any UK channels covering it live last year.
    I watched the streaming on-line from ironman.com and hooked the PC up to a TV.
    Considering the number of people that were probably all streaming it at the same time the service was very good. Watched the pro's in the evening then went to bed, got up the next morning and watched the age groupers finish, fantastic!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Conehead you may have a winner there - how about altering the rules so that when in T1 and T2 you have to dribble down the racks with one of those ball things and take a shot at that net thing suspended on a rectangular wooden frame?

You are right though, people at work know the names of all the Premier league and international football players even if they don't follow football because of the media coverage, were whipped into a frenzy over our pathetic World Cup venture yet are oblivious to the achievements of Chrissie Wellington and that is the same for other sports where GB has outstanding success.
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    Both very good points, but I personally wouldn't change it.

best to avoid the crowds

I perfer alternative sports, anything that doesn't invole a ball or a team!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    This makes it sound as if triathletes are feted superstars in the US, unless they chuck or catch a football, dribble a basketball or wack or pitch a baseball, no one in the US gives a monkeys outside their respective small sports world. Sure the events get coverage that mostly comes down to the cable networks there needing something..anything to fill those endless hours of airtime & the size of the markets that need satisfying on a local level, hence ESPN screen it, probably with interruptions for cow wrastling in Wyoming, the latest Boggle world champeenships from Duluth etc etc.
  • how very true Conehead!!!!!!!!!

Ive got Crowie's App on my iphone and when anyone looks at it, its usually followed by WTF!!! "some sort of gayboy App eh Gaz, who the F@&k's Crowie??"

Just a little aside. My mate qualified and landed on 'The Big Island' yesterday. Does anyone else know anyone who is there??? Would be great if he could hook up with other GB athletes.

If you do, let me know and I can pass on his contact details
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Britspin I recall seeing coverage about 20 years ago of a 'sport', in the US of course, which consisted of the competitor hanging off the back of a pickup truck then letting go, the winner was the one who slid furthest on his arse! What's more they were professionals!

Whilst it is annoying that the media virtually ignore triathlon I must say I also have a peverse streek in me which relishes the fact that I take part in an 'alternative' sport.

Part of the enjoyment for me is getting up at stupid o'clock on a Sunday and gathering with others on a carpark in a field, warriors about to do do battle. - makes me feel like a renegade. Then I have to shuffle back to my desk on Monday as a wage slave - sigh But then I reflect at least I have a job and my health so that then makes me happier
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    ..and although a brief mention of Chrissie has been made in the past, I seem to recall the BBC covering, well mentioning, mobile phone throwing championships, wife carrying champs etc on the evening news.
    I agree with the minority sports thing I do enjoy my ignorance of all things soccer (you must call it soccer to irritate further), yet up to date blather about cycling, athletics, triathlon, american football, speedway, I could go on.
  • 45CDO45CDO Posts: 44
    I seem to remember much talk about "that young Scottish lad from Yorkshire" last year.
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    anyone know what time pros start on Saturday??

6am?? meaning 4pm in the UK?? By when do I need to have my brick finished to watch??!