Home Chat General Chat

Swimming stroke length

hi
I'm looking at improving my technique and have been concentrating on using less strokes per lenght by swimming with better technique - turning at the hips etc and i am swimming at 16/17 strokes per 25m. however i also read that you shouldn't have too long a stroke in case you get dead spots. So how do I know if my stroke rate per length is right for me?

Comments

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Drekkly

have a look at www.swimsmooth.com Click on the video button and have a look at the Part 1 & Part 2 and Jodie Swallow videos. They answer your questions perfectly.

To work out you optimum stroke rate go back to the home page in the Advanced box follow the Stroke Rate link then follow the Stroke Rate Ramp Test link. This will take you to a page that details how to do it including a video of it being done. It does work - I've tried it! If you can't get a Wetronome you can use a Finis Tempo Trainer available from swimshop.co.uk (?)

The deadspot usually occurs when adding a glide to your stroke in front crawl - this can be deliberate as with TI or accidental which sometimes happens with Olympic swimmers at top speed.

HarryD
  • If you feel yourself slowing right down when you're in the 'glide' position then it's probably too long. By keeping your hand moving forward and down slightly during this phase it will make sure you're not overgliding.