Home Chat General Chat

Best nutrition?!

Just wondering what's your best tip of drink/gel/bar/food for longer distances...

What seem to work best for me is bananas and mix of flat coke and orange juice, a bit bulky and not the greatest taste....have used lucozade sport with high 5 gel mix works but if take on too much we are talking bloating/gas and stomach pains...

Comments

• For the bike, or run, as they differ.

Bike, then if it's racing/race training, it's powerbar gels, water + nuun, gatorade, with the odd banana just to give a full feeling. If it's training, then anything really, but soreen, bananas, flapjacks, water, water + nuun, water + squash.

For the run, then it's generally liquid, so gels and water
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Everyone is different.....one thing might work for one but not work for another.

Personally I stick to gels and water, and when not taking gels drink energy drink and both energy drink and gels are high 5.

Generally speaking you should aim to have no more than 60-80g of carbs an hour from both drink and gels....

Never take gels and wash them down with energy drink as you will just over carb yourself and potentailly have stomach issues. Use water with nuun for example instead to wash down gels.

When using carb/energy drinks you can actually dehydrate yourself too.....dont always assume that because your drinking its actually hydrating......

People think they have to take on loads of gels/energy drink because they are scared of hitting the wall etc but you actually dont need that much...It will surprise you on how much you can actually get away with.

The best thing you can do is try loads of different feeding plans over winter and see which one works for you, once you find something then stick with it.
  • RaphaRapha Posts: 14
    They had the High5 at Challenge Roth this year and I loved it. They have a nice little nutrition plan to download from their website for all the different tri disciplines, too. Really easy to understand and has made a massive difference. I've been following it and been setting PBs the last few months!

Recently tried their Zero hydration tablets. A little like Nuun but taste better IMHO and also works out cheaper.
  • Rapha wrote:
    They had the High5 at Challenge Roth this year and I loved it. They have a nice little nutrition plan to download from their website for all the different tri disciplines, too. Really easy to understand and has made a massive difference. I've been following it and been setting PBs the last few months!

Recently tried their Zero hydration tablets. A little like Nuun but taste better IMHO and also works out cheaper.
    Any chance that Rapha is a High5 employee?
  • RaphaRapha Posts: 14
    TRIumphant wrote:
    [quote="Rapha":3soh9xzv]They had the High5 at Challenge Roth this year and I loved it. They have a nice little nutrition plan to download from their website for all the different tri disciplines, too. Really easy to understand and has made a massive difference. I've been following it and been setting PBs the last few months!

Any chance that Rapha is a High5 employee?[/quote:3soh9xzv]

No just a keen cyclist who has decided to try triathlons since late last year. I used to mix my own drinks - maltodextrin and also whey protein, and still try any samples I get at races etc. Some of the PBs were down to improving my running/swimming which to be fair are pretty poor but improving. I've been setting better times on the bike too and feeling stronger towards the end of long training rides.

If you go from just using maltodextrin to 2:1 fructose (and take in the optimum amount) then you will have more carbs left towards the end and of course you will go faster/feel better. Add caffeine to it and that apparently increases uptake even more. I'm talking about longer distances not sprint or olympic distance when your carbohydrate stores are important.

I find the guides useful because I don't have to work any of it out myself. Unless you use it properly the science won't make you be stronger. So from experience my advise is check out the guides and try it yourself if you are looking to do longer distances, which I think answers the original question?