Home Chat General Chat

Planet x 82/101 wheels

Hi all,
just wondered do any of you use planet x wheels?
in particular 82/101 wheelset
Are they any good?

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Are they still £400?

I looked at these but wondered if they are too deep? IE would they present more problems with handling than would be worth it?

They are however cheaper than the Planet X 50mm wheels...
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I'm selling a set of 85's on ebay. The thread is in the for sale section. £625... bloody bargain.

The 85's front and rear are fine but on a blowy day the front will wobble and you'll spend a fair bit time handling the bike. I've used the 85's and you will notice a huge difference but its better to have the deeper rear section and shallower front.

Running the deep section wheels will allow you to go faster and you will notice it.

Planet X seem to have good reviews
  • fire trifire tri Posts: 173
    cheers for that
    so you reckon an 82/101 set should be ok?
    I have some 31's if its really windy lol
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    If its windy then forget about the deep front as you'll end up shitting yourself more than actually pedalling the bike. Stick the 31 on the front and use the deep rear and you'll be nice and dandy.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    I have these wheels, I initially bought them to tide me over until I had some extra funds and get some HED tri-spokes. These are so good I wont bother, Ive used them for 10, 25, 50 mile TT and all distance tris in ALL weathers and they are very good. I used them at Dorney this year (it gets VERY windy there) and, although I was a little concerened, they performed brilliantly.

I'm 81kg so I'm not a lightwieght but It would have to be litterally blowing a gale for me to change the front to my 50mm. The 82 front is a good wheel and fairly light (for the price). The 101 rear is superb apart from a little flex when your out of the saddle and really standing on your pedals (which isnt often in a triathlon), its near perfect.

I would reccomend these wheels to anyone working on a budget they are seriously good value. Also the team at PX, particularly Ian Cammish, are superb.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    I see lots and lots of Planet X wheels, they're quite local to me, and nobody I have met has had a bad word to say for the wheels so far.

I guess the type of spokes on the wheel makes as much difference as the depth to the handling characteristics in windy weather. I have a set of Spinergy Rev X wheels, which are about 50mm deep, but become "exciting" in cross winds, due to the quad spoke type arrangement. That, and the fact that I'm 65kg probably...
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    All sounds good.

"Dear Santa,

I have been a really really really good boy this year, honest...."
    Cheers for all posts
    wheels are ordered arrive on monday

you forget how much stuff extra is needed
    valve extenders, new cassette and tubular tyres
    stuff to fit the tyres or someone to fit them!!!

Any one got any advice on tyres then?
    The conti? Podiums get very good reviews and at 30 not bad price!
    These will be race day wheels and maybe the odd tt practise session
    so decent tyres will e required but hopefully not ridiculously priced
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    I read some reviews to say the PX wheels were a bit flexy?

I'm heavy with a high power output, so need strong stiff wheels, I thought about these, but was put off by the reviews. Anyone that can dispute them would probably save me some bucks as the PX wheels can be picked up cheapish on fleabay...
    I know what ya mean
    i'm 6ft3 and got upto nearly 15 stone!
    So i had my reservations on carbon wheels
    i emailed PX direct to ask about weight limits on the wheels, you may say that they're bound to say they're fine
    but seemed they gave honest advixe
    i'm only gonna be using mine as race day wheels and for tt's so no pounding on the pedals going up hills
    so shouldnt be too bad
    and they said such in their email back
    hopefully get my weight down so wont be a problem anyway
  • APSAPS Posts: 4
    Hi firetri.

Can you post in here when you've had your first blast on these. I'm just about to get the plastic out and make a purchase, would be ace to get your opinion before I bankrupt myself yet again. That price seems awesome. Cheers mate.
    Lol
    No worries
    But will be a month or so
    Bankrupted myself for the month buying em lol
    So tyres are waiting till November now
    Previous post further up some guy has got some and posted how he thought they were
  • I currently race on a road bike and keep toying with the idea of upgrading to a tri bike especially as I'm going long next year, but I find it hard to justify the expense when I will be no where close to competing at the front of the race.

Would deep section wheels on a road bike make much of a difference or should I just go all out and get a full tri bike upgrade if I'm going to bother with deep section wheels?
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Hi Simon
    If you are happy with your road bike then rock on. Deep sections are not a solution in themselves but part of the whole. I was chatting to one chap a few months bike who was riding a PX road bike with the 82/101s and he was doing alright.

IMHO if going long you need a bike that is going to be light and aero and preferably carbon as it just soaks up the bumps and lumps, these properties will make 6hrs in the saddle a bit more manageable, whether it is a road or tri bike is down to what is feasible and practical for you and your other commitments.

Again IMHO you should try to arrive at a synergy where the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts. No point having a light aero carbon frame if the mechs are duff, if you have a good aero carbon frame and decent mechs then you should be looking at wheels and tyres that will not only compliment them but enhance.

82/101s will give a damn good aero benefit but can be limiting in windy conditions, how that will affect you is determined by weight, experience and determination. 80/101s may be great for you or may be a disaster, I just can't say.

As regards not being in podium position - hey this is triathlon - bling rules. In my case I have my dream bike whose performance exceeds my abilities, do I care? No; she is a joy to ride and I have even got a 4th in age group (no there were more than 4 in my age group), what it it does mean is no more excuses I have really got to train harder now.
    well it finally ready, tyres fitted, cassette fitted, brake blocks fitted.
    Just gotta wait a couple of days for the tyres and tape to settle/bed in
    then off out for a test ride
    lets hope its dry and not windy
  • Sweeeeeet . . .
    not bad for a bike that started out as an £800 road bike lol
    and can still ride it up the local hills on the bars!!!
    want a real one so i can have my road bike back to normal
    but think maybe another season of tri to make sure and justify the expense
  • Have you tried the wheels yet?

They've a deal on just now, £400 for the set, and I'm seriously tempted (although currently they're out of stock).

How are they?
    That was the deal I got em on, they may not get em back at that price, they said to me it was so cheap to make room for new stock with new decals

If you do get some they do feel fast,
    seem to take a bit to get up to speed which is strange cos they're slightly lighter than my old wheels, but seem to hold it better once you get there
    They feel a bit twitchy on the tyres i put on as they're narrower than my pro race 3's
    If you've not had deep wheels b4 it is true what they say about the wind, makes for an interesting ride lol
    but you get used to how they feel in the wind
    I have tried not to even go up any hills where i really need o get out of the saddle so not noticed and flexing,