Home Chat General Chat

Heart Rate Monitors

I did my first triathlon at London last summer and I'm back again this year.

I've decided that I should invest in a HRM and wanted to canvass some opinions on important features, good models etc...

I'm training pretty seriously - at least it feels that way to me - and I'm targeting a sub 2:30 time for London 07, having completed last year in 2:30:44.

I've had a look around at HRMs but I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for. I quite like the idea of a PC-link but this seems to be a premium feature and I'm not sure if it's really necessary at this level? Could I just log the raw data in a spread sheet? Are any of the GPS systems worth the investment? Would cheap and cheerful be just as good?

Any thoughts etc, would be much appreciated.

Gav

Comments

• while all the add on's are great what features you need are Lap time, split time, Actual heart rate and average HR as average per split.

Anything else isn't necessary in my opinion. Some you can download but I just keep all my info in a training diary.
  • i agree, i have had expensive polar and cardiosport hrm's that can be uploaded to a pc but i rarely used them for anything other than just observing my heart rate. Im currently using one from aldi i bought for a tenner and it does everything i need it to
  • I bought a cheap £40 Polar running one the other year, it only told you your HR and how long you have been exercising for. I found this to be useful but I soon got to the point where I wanted to know more. I'm considering getting a better one for running but I also bought a Polar CS200 for my bike, this gives you HR, time in specific training zones as well as the usual bike type stuff like speed, distance and cadence.

I would recomend shelling out a fair ammount for a decent HR monitor as the extra features come into there own when you get more use to using one
  • I bought a polar s625x a couple of years ago and love it.

I have the running feature which tells you how far and how fast you have gone but you can also purchase the add ons for the bike speed, cadence and power output.

I am planning on buying some of these in the future once i start more serious training.

I guess it depends on how serious you want to take it but I would say buy one you can use as a basic to begin but you have the option to add other stuff to it.

• DamianDamian Posts: 11
    My ex-gf bought me a Garmin ( 320 ? ) for my bday.

Its quite chunky, but had GPS/ HRM/ PC link etc. .. loads of functionality

Although it retails at over 150euro, she got it for 70euro on eBay ... someone in the office who knows something about these things looked at it and was v impressed

But it does look like a laptop strapped to your wrist !

DL
  • rj1265rj1265 Posts: 70
    Hi Gav

I'd never used a HRM until a couple of years ago when the Gym owner suggested I'd get more out of my cardio sessions by limiting my Heart Rate.... I'm sure they thought I was going to collapse - me going flatout for 45 mins on the stationary bike followed by 30 mins on treadmill / stepper / multi trainer etc ..... red faced / sweat every where .... not pretty !!!

I bought a Basic Timex HRM -- it was great I could ride at more consistent power outputs for longer, and got fitter as well and my running then improved because I wasn't exhausted from the bike. I know its obvious but I need numbers to look at .... if HR is too high back off, too low increase effort.

Last year I bought a Garmin Forerunner 305 .... I feel I have gone to the next step this is an excellent tool (personal opinion - I love my gadgets !!). I have different HR limits set for bike and run.. makes my training more structured and being able to enter courses allows me to see my improvements over time. I like to analyze my training sessions - I find it fun [:)] .

Going to buy speed /cadence unit as Garmin are about to release a bike mount for it as well. Make those bike only training sessions easier.

If you have a HRM/GPS that uploads to your PC - exporting bike / runs to Google Earth is so cool !!!

I'm no serious triathlete --- complete not compete is my motto. If I get round the London Oly Tri in 3 hrs - I would be over the moon.

Gav the real answer is get a cheap one first -- if you find it a real benefit then buy a better one, my personal experience is that an HRM has improved the quality of my training and speeded up the improvement in my fitness... I hasn't help me loose weight -- I burn more calories... but I now eat more !! [;)]

• Algarni wrote:

I bought a polar s625x a couple of years ago and love it.

I have the running feature which tells you how far and how fast you have gone but you can also purchase the add ons for the bike speed, cadence and power output.

I am planning on buying some of these in the future once i start more serious training.

I guess it depends on how serious you want to take it but I would say buy one you can use as a basic to begin but you have the option to add other stuff to it.

That's really an awesome HRM. very useful and the data is automatically dowloaded into my computer to view the exercise/HR/Speed?cadence chart comparison. I have the speed sensor and cadence sensor on the bike as well as the footpod (for running speed/distance which comes with it) and they work so smoothly and so accurately.

It also tells you the temperature, altitude and has tests built in to check your optimization.

It's one great investment in my opinion.
  • Thanks for the input folks.

I'll have a think and make a decision in the next few days. I've got to pick up a set of tri bars as well so perhaps I should go for the cheap option; on the other hand, I've rarely been disappointed when I've spent more than I intended to, so I might treat myself to something a little more expensive...
  • mark26mark26 Posts: 10
    I never use to use HRM or any gadgets, but my better half bought a Garmin 305 for me, and I'm hooked. My training has improved my timings & fitness is a LOT better than previous years. I actually train in the correct zones !! The proof of the pudding will be when I complete the Big Woody in Sept. The cost of the Garmin is high compared to others but you simply switch do your exercise & listen to bleeps!!
  • I have a Sigma HRM which does everything I want - not top end, but tells me actual, average, highest HR, length of session etc.

One question - Is it safe to wear HRMs in the swimming pool? I really want to find out my HR at different lap speeds but am worried that it will conk out - nothing in the instructions about swimming but it is waterproof.

• AlgarniAlgarni Posts: 46
    I know you are meant to be able to swim with a monitor on but I have never been able to keep it on in the pool. It always tends to slip down my torso, after one session full of stops for adjusting the monitor I gave up with it.

If anyone has any advice on how to combat this it would be much appreciated.
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    to stop my heart rate monitor sliding down my torso when i swam, i just didnt push off the wall as hard. Also makes you swim more of the length of the poolas you dont get to glide for the first few metres!!
  • whats the rough guide for fat buring, 220 minus age , and 80percent of that ?

like 220-33/80.....149 ish?

is this ok?
  • pacmanpacman Posts: 109
    Hey Hitani

I have the s625x aswell and I find it the business. I got a deal on the sensors when I bought it which means it gives me all the info for the bike.

The only thing is I have never been able to upload the data to the computer as my laptop doesn't have an infra red port. Is this what you are using or is there some other way of getting the info in?

Cheers patrick
  • billigabilliga Posts: 3
    The Polar S625X is probably one of the very few heart rate monitors around that are compatible with both running foot pod and various cycling pods. Many other HRMs are either specifically for runners or for cyclists but not both.
  • mptrewmptrew Posts: 3
    I use the Suunto T4. It is fantastic. In addtition I bought the Suunto Memory belt which means I can also monitor my swimming seesions.

The only problem is that the t4 uploads to one piece of software (Training Manager Lite) and the belt uploads to another (Training Manager) and the two cannot be merged :(

• Hi halfanironman

I have attached a link to an article that I found useful in Runners World for working out heart rate zones:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=176

Hope it is of some use to you too. :-)