tubular tyres

hey all

new tubular wheels ordered

now need some views as to what rubber to use
they will be race day wheels and some once a month practise tt runs
so wanting fast smooth running
but not at stupidly expensive prices

longest ride on em will probably be 25mile tt for oly tri's

read about conti? Podiums they seem to have very good reviews and under 30 quid each

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    My understanding is that the Podium is ideal for TT, low rolling resistance lighter than the Competitions and according to the Conti website their own team switches to Podiums whe they need to shave the seconds off. Come in 19s only.

I use Conti Competitions as recommended to me by several people including Hussler - they greatly exceed my capabilities. Done several hundred K on them and I am happy with them.

Again my understanding is that the Podiums have less puncture resitance than the Competitions but there again can't have everything and from what you say you want them for seem ideal but I am a bit wimpish and went for the Competitions.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Ive been using Vittoria Corsa Evo CX tubs this year and they are very good indeed. Fairly light with a good (seemingly) puncture resistance.

The next question you will face is which glue to use........

I use tape as its no mess and no faffing, the two tapes you will see the most reviews for are TUFO EXTREME and JANTEX. Ive used them both and find that TUFO tape is more solid and glues the tub better, Jantex is good but I just felt safer riding with the Tufo (psycological I think). The only draw back with TUFO is if you do puncture its slightly harder to remove damaged tub, you just need a bit more elbow grease.

In the end of the day I use a tape that I have 100% confidence in and when you're going flat out through corners you don't want to be thinking, "I hope my tyre dosn't roll off the rim......"
  • fire trifire tri Posts: 173
    cheers, thinking of the podiums mainly cos of the price and the reviews, virtually all good with no cons at all on wiggle.
    Might sound like a skin flint, but, they wont be getting that much use, and i'm not that good, (will only be second season of tri's next year) to warrant spending a fortune, but would like some decent ones,

Not really thought too much about fitting them and them coming off!!!
    How hard are they to put on? seen you tube vids, would rather get someone who knows what they're doing to put em on.

How many times have you lot had them come off??

Other thing, carbon wheel brakes, do they feel different to normal alloy braking? Hear a lot said about braking with carbon rims
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Get some SwissStop yellow brake pads, they are without doubt the best carbon specific brake pads around. The thing with cheap carbon pads is that they dont work that well in the wet, you'll stop but the braking isnt consistent. The SwissStop pads are also good to use on alloy rims so you dont have to faff about changing the pads everytime you put different wheels on.

With a good set of pads there wont be too much difference in the braking performance in the between carbon and alloy. A poor set of pads will feel slightly "grabby" with a harsh initial bite, a good set of pads will be more sympathetic. Also a shit set of brakes will lunch the carbon braking surface a good set wont.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I agre with MG, Swiss Stop Yellows. Made mistake of using the brake pads supplied with my carbon wheels. Seemed OK at first but on heavy braking screeched like mad and juddered. Fortunately no damage and swapped over to the Swiss Stops, so much better, no squeeling or juddering.