Home› Chat› General Chat

This month's question...

Afternoon all

Trust we're enjoying a beautifully grey autumnal afternoon.

Firstly, thanks for all your help answering my monthly question. Very much appreciated. Am now asking for your help once more, replying to the below which could well transcend to the Tri Talk pages of December's issue of 220.

The question this month is...

Do you continue racing in the off-season? Obviously tris are very thin on the ground; I'm talking duathlons, coastal runs, swim galas…? Or do you partake in another sport? Football, tennis, Connect 4…?

Personally this is a time for more 5-a-side, more runs and more cheese.

Have a fine day and thanks in advance.
James, ed

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Hi

I always keep racing! When the weather starts to draw in it turns my attention to running. There are plenty of 10 K races out there and other more interesting race. I like to run off road races through the winter and the best thing is the varity of distance you can race, from 5 k to 1/2 marathon. The hardest part is getting the motivation to pile on the base layers and get out there in the cold and the dark!
  • Last year, and again this year, once my Tri season finishes, normally early'ish October, then the only racing I'll do are run based.

Swim events over the winter would only really be pool based Gala's, so only short distance based, which is OK for Sprint Tri training, but not much use for longer distance work.

Bike is OK, but too weather dependant. I don't mind getting wet, as long as the weather is warm. Getting wet on a wintery ride and then getting cold is no fun at all. Also, wintery rides can be icy too, and limited by dark mornings and dark early in the evenings. So I find that too many winters rides are cancelled or cut short. Really do need to grow myself a pair and HTFU, but turbo's were invented for winter cycling

Running on the other hand is completely different. I generally tend to do more running over the winter. General running, out on the trails etc is just pleasant on a cold winters day, and it's easier to deal with the weather etc. I try to keep my focus by entering more events than I normally would. Last Winter I did three Coastal Trial 1/2 marathons, a couple of trail 1/2 marathons, a series of three 15km trail races, numerous cross country events, and topped them up with ParkRun 5k's on a Saturday morning.

This winter, as I'm doing IM again next year, then I'm looking to do a few hilly/trail marathons, just to get a few more miles into the legs. This will be balanced with two Masters Swim sessions, and a few sessions on the turbo, and a couple of hill sessions on the bike when the weather permits.

Generally though, everything is at a much lower intensity, ensuring I stay injury free, but just keeping the endurance topped up, and the weight off (which is easier said than done).
  • Morg007Morg007 Posts: 54
    I haven't in the past but in preperation for next season I plan on taking part in some running events and possible a duathlon. Did try 5 aside a couple of years ago with some lads from work but too many twinges, annoying injuries and generally being rubbish at football meant it didn't last!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Fell running,cheap,cheerful,available in all weathers and seasons,and a cracking good laugh in the pub afterwards.
  • I will have a go at a few races but dont realy treat them seriously, such as marathons and halfs, trail races along with organised hikes and bike rides ... just to keep me motivated in the off season
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    Tis the season for hard turboing, lots of mountain biking, lengthy unpaced runs and at least a month off swimming. Next race a half-m in March.
  • largeade wrote:
    Tis the season for hard turboing,
    Thought you were writing a Christmas Carol with the opening
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    I keep training, and enter running races to keep the competetive juices flowing.
  • 101SUSY101SUSY Posts: 53
    I've just started fell running !
  • OranjOranj Posts: 45
    I'm just ticking over in the "off" season, but might enter a 10k or two to keep the motivation going. I also participate in Concept2 (indoor rowing) challenges, which are often a nice short blast, just to clean the pipes out once in a while!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    J Witts wrote:

Do you continue racing in the off-season?
    In all honesty, you can hardly call what I do in any event 'racing'!

Off season for me is...errrr... off. It's all about the base now.
  • doogledoogle Posts: 58
    Over winter i race a cross country league with my running club and occasionally do the odd off road duathlon. Feel i need the competition to make me train.
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    Mtb dulathons for me

Fell running and XC.

With MMA training, it's intense!
  • 10k races, fell running and turbo sessions - and learning freestyle might help!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I'm thinking about loads of circuit training to help with the core. Plenty of running and getting to know my friends again.
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    Has to be golf competitions for at least a month until the weather goes completely..get to know the folks ignored through the spring/summer months again....then it's TURBO time!
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    Off road Duathlons,
    Running because its cheaper then a tri bike and I,m crap at it.
    Posting whiney self indulgent shite on forums.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    A half marathon as a season full stop. An aquathlon sometime in Dec. Cross country ski at Christmas. al peppered with base & technique training, spinning classes & good recovery.
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    Time to go surfing!!!!!!
  • Just Joined my fisrt ever Atheletics/Tri club.

I will be taking guidance but think i will only be doing running events as that is really what needs my attention.

will have to fall pray to the turbo trainer as i am struggling not wanting to go back to my old bike.
  • Last year I did the Coastal Trail Series 10K races. I swore at the end that I would not do them again. Herself being somewhat pedantic pointed out that to do them again I would have to have already done them so my comment could only apply to the 10Ks. Couldn't fault her linguistic accuracy so it seems I will be doing the Coastal Trail HMs this winter.

I might do a few off-road duathlons, time permitting and will no doubt do the occasional park run.
  • Eatting and drinking is the best thing to do in the off season. The odd bike ride, run or swim is okay but don't over do it.
  • BexHBexH Posts: 226
    I think adventure racing may be the way to go this winter... the more mud the better!
  • Hi guys!
    In winter i will have to go for running.....running on the other hand is completely different. I feel so good to running in winter... General running, is just a pleasant on a cold winters day, and it's easier to deal with the weather etc. Last Winter I did four Coastal Trial 1/2 marathons...I really love to running....
  • I like to do a couple of marathons on my off season and then any intesting challenge that comes a long that is not going to interfere with my recovery / base