Home Chat General Chat

Ironman Races

Looking at options for a 2011 IM event - any views on Roth, Austria and Switzerland would be appreciated. I know Roth and Austria have already closed but thinking of using one of the sport travel firms.

Cheers, Steve.

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Aven't done Roth,but have done both the others,given the choice it would be Austria,but only by a whisker.
    If you can run fast after a hard bike then IMCH is the one,as Austria produces faster bike splits and is a faster course.
    Switzerland also means expensive,but both are class races and you will have to decide what you want from the race.
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    I thoroughly enjoyed Switzerland, my one and only Ironman so far.

Incredible experience, great swim, bike and run courses with fantastic support throughout the race. Going up 'Heartbreak Hill' made me quite emotional simply because of the amount of support. Slap it into youtube and you'll see what I mean.

Can't comment on either of the others but Roth will be my next one!

As mentioned above, for IMCh you will need to stay in Zurich so be prepared to spend £££. Eating out and eating cheap is not an option.

Having said that, if money isn't an issue and you want an amazing experience then go for it.

Don't worry too much about staying slap bang in the centre as the trams are fantastic. I stayed at the Crowne Plaza, which was full of other people doing IMCH, so quite a good atmosphere in the few days prior to the race.

It's the kind of place where you can spend the day after chilling on Lake Zurich on one of their ferries, with a few beers and a big grin. Excellent. I loved it.
  • RaphaRapha Posts: 14
    Roth is great for the atmosphere. I've not seen anything like it before and can only recommend it.

Not been to Austria or Switzerland.