Home Chat General Chat

bike postioning???

Hey anyone out there any good/expert at bike positioning????
Got my bike set up to how I feel comfy at the moment, but got this pic after a race and wondered if anyone out there had any suggestions to possibly make it more efficient, or if it looks ok as it is
Long shot I know as pics can be deceptive, not truly accurate for my riding position as left leg is totally straightened out as was having a drink at the time lol
(have bought the official pic, but too big too post)

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    You dont seem to be far enough foward on the seat to be is an areo postion when on the bars.
    Also I can quite see if you leg is a touch straight on the far side.
  • fire trifire tri Posts: 173
    My leg is straight on the far side as was just catching a breather as having a drink, when pedaling it feels right, not over reaching!!!
    If i sit further forward on the seat will I not be straightening myself up more, making my body more upright????
    I am just over 6ft 3 and the bike is the largest size Orbea do!!!
    I feel comfortable enough when on the bars, and the longest tri's I did this year and probably next year will be olympic distance, unless wilmslow half marathon goes ok then maybe a 70.3, only first year of doing em this year, so still getting used to it all.
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    Its the back/arm position that looks "wrong", but its pretty much the same "best" back/arm position I can feasibly achieve on my road bike with clipon aerobars.

Ideally I think you want to get a 90 ish degree angle with your arm and a flat back. So as you say if you move forward you will go higher, to counteract that your bars will need drop too, which might not be feasible depending on the frame.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    As CH says comfort is King and we are all having a stab from 1 photo at one point in the cycle.

Thoughts: if we take it from the front. The ideal angle formed between the upper and lower arms should be 90 - 110deg. You look to be a tad over that limit which largeade picked up on, this in turn means that you may be sitting too far back. Have you flipped your seat post around? This will move you forward a bit relative to the BB. If this then makes you seem a bit 'sit up and beg' (as my Dad used to call ordinary 'push bikes' - does anyone still say that?) have you thought about removing a streering stem spacer or flipping the stem around. That will bring your front lower and move your body forward rotating your body around the hip and then aid getting the 'ideal' 90 deg angle twixt collar bone, hip and pedal axle at the bottom of the stroke (which by merry hap you seem to be in on the pic) - you look to be about 100deg

Sorry of it seems obvious but when trying out different set ups write down the settings so you have a record so you don't lose your original setting.

Another thing that worries me as an arthritic old git are your wrists. Just sitting at my desk with my wrists in that configuration causes tension in my wrists, all along my arms and into my back. As you are younger and fitter you will probably have no problems but just something to lookout for IMHO.

Hope that helps.
  • I have several bikes - mtb, road, cross etc.. all are set up slightly different.. took an age to do it my slef by a tweak here and there. For my Commuter bike, I bought the bike and had an hours worth of set up in the store for 20 quid ish. I have never needed to touch it since. I woudl recommend just go down to the local (decent not Hallfords!!) bike store and spend an hour with them. May cost you 30 - 50 quid but you will be efficient, and have no niggles in the back or legs from poor positioning.

Where are you based? I would be happy to help if you are not too far
  • fire trifire tri Posts: 173
    It's not so much pain anywhere! Just wondering if anyone thought I could get in a more efficient position to be more aero
    But I know it's hard to tell a lot from a picture
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    Go on then CH, whats the 'HS Complex'. Google is no help.

First thought was you'd spelt ITB wrongly, viz 'the more we ride the more or (sic) HS pull down on our pelvis'

Then I read back through; 'your pelvis needs to anterior tilt, to do that the HS complex needs to allow it' so I thought maybe he means squashing your undercarriage. ;-)

But maybe its something different.
  • grant1974grant1974 Posts: 262
    Hey Guy's,

I don't know anything about bike position, but I have found a company that do.

I am in the process of pricing a pro bike fit for a bike I am interested in buying. Whilst looking around I found http://www.bike-science.com. Looks to be a great service and all the info can be found here; http://www.bike-science.com/precision-bike-fitting/bike-fit-make-a-booking-c-295_298.html.

They have a place in Bristol and if two of us book we can save a bit of cash. Normally £174.99, if two of us go it will £124.99 each, so £50 off.

Let me know your interested so we can organise mutually agreeable times.

Grant

P.s. If anyone has used this service and has an opinion, I would love to hear it.
  • I haven't used them, but a friend has. Couldn't rate them highly enough. Used them during buying a Planet-X bike, whole process took a while, but could actually see the watts produced go up as the position was tweaked. Went back a couple of weeks later to collect the new bike which was set up to the pre-determined fit, and hasn't had to change it since.