Home Chat General Chat

race shoes

Hi,
I'm new to triathlons but have run for a few years and always needed support shoes with shock absorber full insoles. New Balance 850. I get a lot of pain in one knee after only a couple of miles if I'm not using these. I have been looking at the race shoes and wonder if they would be alright to use. I'm only going to do 5k or 10k runs. Could anyone give me some advice.
Thanks

Comments

• I have the same issue

I need stability shoes not the extra insert and have tried many styles, i have found saucony the best and will now not change.

I am going to get the Saucony race shoes and see how it goes in my next race.
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Depends how you run?

Sounds like you may be a heel striker if you're having those knee problems.

More cushiponing is not always the answer.

Racing flats are fine if you are a Fore Foto Striker and have a good Posture.

Check out POSE running.

Your knees will be glad you did.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Pain in the knee.
    Where abouts,front/back/side/above.

You may be better off with a neutral cushioned trainer and some custom made orthotics.

motion control shoes are generic whereas custom orthotics are more specific to your knee problem.

Just a thought and definately not an expert opinion.

You don't mention your weight,a heavy runner using light weight race shoes,would trash them quite quickly,so cost effectiveness might be an issue too.

Would you rather run pain free in slightly heavier shoes or start quicker and then begin to get distracted by the pain making for a slower run overall.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Just a thought, I occassionally have knee probs and a former Pilates and Bodypump instructor who is a qualified physio (and a real fox) got me doing leg extensions to build up the surrounding muscle - touch wood seem OK now.

Also agree with Jon.E custom orthotics will address your specific problem whereas support shoes are general in nature.

I also note that the 850s are for those with moderate to severe overpronation. If you are a nuetral runner then this shoe could be adding to the problem.
  • My friend who runs a lot suggested going to a good local running shop and get fitted properly. I went to my local one where the guy spent about 1/2 hour looking at how I run on the treed mill taking videos of how I was running as well as how I standard/bend. He selected the shoes for me .

Since then my knees are much better and i have stop getting blisters.

Hope the above is of help
  • Morg007Morg007 Posts: 54
    wburnish wrote:
    My friend who runs a lot suggested going to a good local running shop and get fitted properly. I went to my local one where the guy spent about 1/2 hour looking at how I run on the treed mill taking videos of how I was running as well as how I standard/bend. He selected the shoes for me .

Since then my knees are much better and i have stop getting blisters.

Hope the above is of help
    yeah I'll second that too..... I always have my running videoed when getting you new running shoes as I had a ruptured achilles 5 years ago before I started triathlon and am always wary of having a weakness in them.
    For a bit of balance orthotics and fancy pronating shoes with whizz bang technology don't actually work they are all a marketing ploy.

Why is it 60-85% of runners get injured each year wearing shoes that are supposed to fix the problem?

Read Born to Run.

http://www.posetech.com/training/archives/000270.html
    GHarv wrote:
    For a bit of balance orthotics and fancy pronating shoes with whizz bang technology don't actually work they are all a marketing ploy.

Why is it 60-85% of runners get injured each year wearing shoes that are supposed to fix the problem?

Read Born to Run.

http://www.posetech.com/training/archives/000270.html
    The reason is,that they never get the problem analysed correctly.
    A pain in the knee,may not originate from the knee,or the foot but from elsewhere.
    A decent podiatrist,physio etc would not perscribe orthotics if they were not needed,but specify exercises to correct the problem.

Off the peg orthotics and motion control shoes are generic and not specific.Custom orthotics are specific to rectify an underlying problem,specific to one person,since we are all unique.

Pose running,chi running,barefoot running,might work for some but not all,but they could all be marketing hype to create the next best thing until,someone publishes 'Running on knees',the way to stop trainers wearing out.
  • I used to have knee niggles although it was more from cycling then anything else. Having spoken to a friend who is a trained in all things muscly she recommended one-legged squats to build up the muscle in and around the knee.

Easy enough to do in your lounge (which is where i did them), place one leg behind you on the sofa and then squat until that rear knee is almost touching the floor. Then return to the starting position. 3 Sets of 10 on each leg and you can add weights as well if you like.

After a few weeks, all my knee twinges had gone. Nice and easy and doesn't require any gym equipment, just a sofa or chair.

Might not work for everyone but well worth a go + it's cheaper than a new set of shoes, especially if they are not needed.
    The reason is,that they never get the problem analysed correctly.
    A pain in the knee,may not originate from the knee,or the foot but from elsewhere.
    A decent podiatrist,physio etc would not perscribe orthotics if they were not needed,but specify exercises to correct the problem.

Off the peg orthotics and motion control shoes are generic and not specific.Custom orthotics are specific to rectify an underlying problem,specific to one person,since we are all unique.

Pose running,chi running,barefoot running,might work for some but not all,but they could all be marketing hype to create the next best thing until,someone publishes 'Running on knees',the way to stop trainers wearing out.
    Fair point re next big thing but try this.

Find a flat clear bit of tarmac ditch the shoes and go for a run.

If your're a heel striker guarentee with a couple of minutes you'll stop heel stiking - cos it hurts - and move to a more natural mid to for foot strike?

Fad or not that surely has got to tell us something in terms of how we were mean't to run?

Not sating we should all run out and change but must be food for thought.

Try it and report back.
    No need to go out and try it.I did a few years back.
    I took somebodies advice and ditched the orthotics,caused alot of damage and stopped me racing for 6 months.

Yes I agree that forefront running may work,but not with everybody can do it.
    I find the 60 to 85% a bit vague,who was questioned,did 25% say 'dunno'.statistics are all well and good providing they are representative throughout the whole spectrum.

My survey,carried out over 5 years,taking before and after orthotics into account.
    100% of athletes in the survey said that orthotics had improved their performance and biodynamics.
    100% of athletes in the survey said that when they removed their orthotics it became detrimental to their welbeing and performance.
    100% of athletes in the survey said that chi/pose/barefoot running provided no gain or advantage to them.

Ask ten people and you have the cchance of getting ten different views
    orthotics yes or no,is similar to the tubs or clinchers,shimano or campag debates.
    What works for some may not work for others.
  • kirkbykirkby Posts: 17
    thanks all,
    I'll take a look at the custom made orthotics and the POSE, as for my weight it has gone up which I think is not running that much this last year due to getting a bike which I haven't had for about 10 years.