Home Chat General Chat
Options

Cyclocross Bikes vs Road Bikes

Hi All
Still haven't managed to by my new bike and while looking around i have come across cyclocross bikes. I am wondering if they are worth getting instead of a pure road bike. The reason for the question is that I am looking at doing a mixture of both road and off road dualthons next year and cycleocross bike seem the ideal solutions.

Any though would be appreciated.
Will

Comments

• Options
    jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    The off road duathlons would be more suited to an mtb.
    Cyclo cross has changed in the last couple of years and most races are much tamer than ten years ago.

Yes you could use a cyclo cross for both,but unless you actually intend to race cyclo cross,go for a nice road bike and a cheap mtb,there is no reason why you couldn't stick cyclo cross tyres on your road bike,but you might need a brush and a shovel to put it away,or treat the result as modern art.
  • Options
    QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    A few of our guys have them.
    I thought they were just racers with chunkier tyres lobbed on them but deffo more wheel to frame clearance and centre pull MTB/V style brakes.
    They seem to spend more time being carried around the course than ridden

Get one anyway. We all know a triathlete is rated by how many bikes he has :roll:
  • Options
    AvoneerAvoneer Posts: 174
    Get one!

You can put slicks on it for road use.

They are generally road geometary, but have wider stays for chunky tire clearance.

Also easier to fit mudguards to turn it into a winter commuter.

Best all round bike if you can only afford 1 bike IMO.

Pat...