Home Chat Race Chat

NEW Event - Cotswold 113 (Middle Distance)

Hi All
A few of you already know this, but I've been in the process of planning a middle distance race out of the Cotswolds for a couple of years now.
This year, I ran a pilot F.O.C. style race to test out the infrastructure of the location for 45 racers from Swindon and Salisbury, and although we had to make some sacrifices in how it was run as it was free, the basic premise of the race was good and easily expandable up to several hundred racers
Anyway, I'm just in the final stages of nailing down the business model, getting it agreed and fully up and running for next year, so I'll keep you all posted

Provisional Basic Race details
Date 26th June 2011 +/-1wk (To be finalised)
1.9km OW Swim
56mile Flat-ish fast and picturesque bike (2lap)
13mile flat run on a mixture of scenic trails and tarmac (3lap)

I wanted to give you all a heads up for this, and I'll keep you all posted over the next few weeks for final details and when the website's gonna be up and running

Cheers

Graeme

Comments

• Graeme,

Good news, I keep a look out
  • Sounds good

Lovely country lots of Carbon

Keep us posted i am looking to do my first middle distance next year this seems like a perfect event for me
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    I'm almost definately up for this if it happens as currently mentioned (June 26th).

Please keep us advised with progress, as it'd be good to support a new race to the calendar.
  • GraemeGraeme Posts: 48
    It's 99% done now, just a couple of items that if not possible, could be 'show stoppers' to sort out, that should be done this week or early next and then entries will be up and running.
  • I found your forum thread when ding a general google search for middle distance UK events and I think it sounds great!!! so much so I have been spreading th word amongst friends who are keen to learn some more...fingers crossed you get the last few bits and pieces sorted!
    Release and website opening will be near the end of Nov as, unfortunately, I've been dragged abroad 4000miles with work for a couple of weeks and I'm stuck to communicating via email
    All pretty much done except for one small permission on part of plan A run lap, so by the time I get back, it'll be good to go and entries can go live.
    Sorry for the delays, but I'm keen that it's 110% perfect before I release it and it'll be worth it I hope..
    Cheers
    Graeme
    Morning guys
    Thanks for your patience guys, I've been working away the last few weeks as suddenly my works travel budget reopened, and I was on catch up mode from the rest of the year (last five weeks have been in Portugal, Spain, Romania, then last 2weeks in Japan)
    Anyway, I did try and post whilst away, but it appears not have worked, so I'll try and bring you up to date.

The Routes are now finalised, with the exception of a permission to use land for the run route.
    Basically, and a few on here know this already, the lake it's going to be ran from is surrounded by land owned by the Cotswolds Water park society, and those are the guys that have to give permission to use the other lake paths and surrounding areas for the event.
    The water park society is currently going through some changes in the way they're run as an organisation, so the part that control events, although have said yes, have to wait until the full changes are known before they can "officially agree" to the race.
    Realistically, this isn't going to happen within Nov (any that's dealt with these guys will know their cogs turn slowly), so to give it a time frame that will allow this to go through, I'm now planning on Jan 1st Opening.

I've been assured by them it's going to be allowed, however I want to get it officially before I start taking entries, just to have to return them.

I'll keep you all posted, and thanks for your patience

I promise it'll be worth the wait...

Graeme 07595 591612
    I'm trying to plan my 2011 race calendar and this race fits in bang where I want it to.

Are you saying that this race is all but done but just needs some final bits rubber stamping??

Not wishing to put pressure on but as I'm sure you appreciate races fill up quick and if I'm entering something else then I need to commit ASAP.

Thanks
    And if that is the case, has the date been finalised?
    Hi
    Yeah, sorry for general vagueness, but I think 'rubber stamping' is an accurate description for where it is right now.
    I'm very much a details person, so I'm not happy to release it until I think it's absolutely ready.
    Much like you guys, I've been racing middle distances a number of years and, somewhat less than a sprint or Olympic distance race, the timing requires planning into the calendar around various other events or races, so I can appreciate the urgency of the years training and racing to be planned
    Date is set as 26th June
    Cheers for your patience
    Graeme
    Much appreciated Graeme, I'll put it in the diary and fingers crossed that all the rubber stamping goes through okay.

Good luck and thanks for coming back to me.
    Right, finally sorted the last few bits out, so race is now officially go for June 26th 2011
    I'll open up entries on Jan 1st, and the website ( www.cotswold113.com ) will be up and running within the next seven days once I've transferred the site into the domain.

Thanks for your patience and hope to see you all there

Any questions, get in touch (graeme_hardie@hotmail.com / 07595 591612 )

Cheers

Graeme
    Excellent news Graeme, Jan 1st is in my diary to get entry sorted.

Thanks for keeping us so well updated.

Good luck with entry numbers, I hope it all goes well.
    Just to let you all know, a percentage of each entry is going to the charity dEBra (www.debra.org.uk)
    Debra do a lot of great work raising money help research into a rare skin condition called Epidermolysis Bullosa (the EB in dEBra)
    The reason I’ve chosen dEBra is that my nephew suffers from EB, so it’s an issue close to home for me and a good motivator to try and get some money to them as, as with most UK charities, they’re massively under funded

In the next few weeks I’ll launch some sponsorship ideas and forms if racers want to try and generate some sponsorship money and hopefully secure some nice prizes for the athlete that raises the most money.
  • Team Laws are eyeing this up carefully ?

Hmmmmmmmmm
    Hi All
    Entries are now open at www.cotswold113.com
    Cheers
    Graeme
    Hi all
    I've not posted up here for a while, so I thought I'd bring you up to speed with the race

We're now supporting Mike Trees and the guys at www.tri4japan.com
    He has a couple of slots available through his site

Also, we'll have ten relay teams from Team True spirit, who are from the military headly court clinic for injured servicemen. They're doing the event as a warm up to their challenge of IMUK later in the year.

The bike and run courses are now up on the site at www.cotswold113.com and, as promised, they really are pretty much pancake flat and fast

We're at about 250 entrants so far, so we still have around 100 left if anyone's still interested in racing

Any questions, please get in touch at info@cotswold113.com

Cheers and happy training

Graeme