Home Chat General Chat

fitting clip on tri-bars

hi all, i am looking to fit some clip on tri-bars to my cannondale caad9 road bike, i have found some which look ideal but i am unsure which diameter to go for.

The diameter of the bars where it is held by the stem is 31.8mm but this then tapers to 26mm. as i have never used them before im not sure how far appart they mount and which diameter the bar will be at that point.

any help would be much appreciated. James.

Comments

• jamewahjamewah Posts: 113
    Personal preference, Depending how wide you are ?
    You'll need to play about with the positioning to find whats good for you without resticting you too much.
    If they are too close together it can restrict your breathing I found.
    I had to change my bars as the taper from 31.8mm to 26mm was right where i wanted to fit my clip ons that fit the 31.8mm bars, I know Giant bikes standard bars have quite a decent 'fat' part of the bar, I bought some from planet X as they offer a good variety of adjustment across that fat part before it tapers off.
    I went out with an allen key and chopped and changed until I found a position that was right for me.
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    As above, I simply couldn't fit bars safely due to a taper and had to change my bars to accomodate the clip ons.

Don't try padding it out at all, as it may feel secure enough but when you hit a bump or pot hole, it'll all go horribly wrong.

Unless you like them nice and wide and fit to the 28mm section then you'll probably have to change bars.