Home Chat General Chat

cold and hungry

Help or advice required.
Have been enyoing finding my way in the world of triathlon. Love the sport feel great healty and fit. The problem is having lost about 2 stone and reduced my body fat I now cant warm up. I feel cold all the time. It has got to the point that I sometimes have to run a hot bath and sit in it to get any chance of remaining warm for a period of time. I wear tee shirt under my work shirts and a jumper just to have a chance of keeping cozy. I also feel hungry all the time even when im eating a little of something every hour.
Any ideas of why im so cold and hungry plus what I can fill up on with out putting weight back on.
Im 39 ys
5ft 9
13st 4lbs if that makes any differace and no its not old age yet hopefully.
Regards Ollie

Comments

• Hi Ollie,

No such thing as cold, just poor clothing choice

Stick a base layer on under your work stuff, that should do the job. Sitting in a bath of hot water won't help an awful lot. Just keep well wrapped up and you'll be fine. It's also unseasonably fecking freezing outside at the moment, which doesn't help. Layering is your friend.

How much are you eating and what, etc, etc. Try to have protein with every meal, and shedloads of salad/veggies - should fill you up nicely. Eating a bit more of something every 2-3 hours is probably better than constantly eating every hour.
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    Firstly well done! But have you tried turning the heating on?
    having lost about 2 stone....Im 39 ys 5ft 9 13st 4lbs
    Sounds like you are not eating enough to me. Look at your BMR http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ and then add on your HR calculated exercise expenditure. You'll be under what you need by 100-200 kcal.

I'm 41, 6'4" and 13st11 and have also lost two stone this year. I'm not overly cold, although I've found I need to wear another layer more frequently than the past. So my BMR is roughly 2000kcal and currently I'm pretty much eating the same thing every day, whilst maintaining weight. I dont bore easily:

7am Low sugar Museli+extra raisins+orange juice+coffee (640kcal)
    9am coffee
    12pm chicken+rice (550kcal)
    3pm coffee
    4pm banana or two (150kcal)
    7pm whatever is served by the wife (800ish kcal)
    9pm large hot chocolate (100kcal)

Comes in at 2240kcal. Add the exercise on top and theres room for extra sandwiches, chocolate, ice cream, beer etc all without putting on weight.
  • Thanks
    Make's sense. Sounds like I need to look at the food intake. I would not have a clue what calories im taking in. Plus training as well. Will also do the bmi calc to see what that says. Good shout.
    Recovery/ protein shakes will have to be tried. Will go for a bigger meal's rather than grazing all day.
    NOTE TO SELF: PUT HEATING ON.
    Thanks again
    Regards soft Northerner
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Ahhh BMI, that blunt instrument, ahhh supplements not a great solution when you have no idea of your current calorie intake/output so what are you supplementing.
    So as mentioned clothing options need to be reviewed, food wise whilst not an advocate of strict calorie counting an idea of ins & outs would help, after all if you view your food intake energy output as a bank account, one would hope you roughly know how much intake (Pay) you get vs your output (bills etc). Then you can decide if you need to do overtime (supplement) or simply get a better rate of pay..eat better food more often. The protein point is a good one, every meal should have a protein element, it has a greater thermogenic effect..as in it takes more energy to digest than sugars & fats & produces more heat in this process & will keep you warmer. Keeping moving is also a good move (see what I did there?) at my work place its managers & reception that moan about being cold, the floor guys, coaches & instructors don't..guess who sits still & who moves..
    Just to point out that actually I said BMR. Basal Metabolic Rate, the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day, which is not related to BMI at all. Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight.

Now BMI gets generally poo poo'd as a method, and as a big rugby playing mesomorph type this train of thought was attractive as it says BMI doesnt apply to me and I cold keep eating.

So, 13st10 is my magic "BMI" weight. The fact is I'm now 13st11 and am pretty much carrying the same amount of muscle as I used to but now have minimal fat. So lets just say I've more respect for the BMI crew than in the past.
  • Warburton stop wimping and run faster!! Didn't think I would let you off after telling me about your post did you??
    Some good advice has been given in response to your dilemma mate let's hope you will listen to it unlike you do with me
  • Glad I'm not the only one feeling the cold! Have dropped 40lbs so far this year - never felt the cold before in my life and my word it's a bit chilly now!
    Will have a go with some of the advice and see if I warm up any more.... Heating's on and merino wool base layer is my new best friend ;-)
  • brettos
    what do you mean "i dont listen to you"
    Your idea was "ever thought of doing a triathlon if your board of running"
    Some times wish i had said no. I always listen to your advise "stop cying and peadle faster" "push through it it only hurts for a while" "were going long this year" "dont stop to puke"
    Dont work to live any more now I live to tri.
    I only mentioned the bmi thing as that was what the link said...bmi calculator, & your point about it not applying rather makes my point for me..
    I do have an errr 'interesting' article somewhere about BMR as well, interesting as in if one is as nerdy about these things as I am...
    I think its on my work computer so will post tomorrow, if I find it.
    Thanks, interesting article. No biff, just clarifying.

I guess I must be lucky and the BMI / BMR+exercise thing works close enough for me. Theres so much wooliness around counting incoming calories anyway its only ever going to be an approximation.

But I do know that without using BMR as a guide I would still be 15st10 and deluded. I'm lighter now than when I was 14 years old. For me the biggest thing is that the message of 2500kcal per day for men is flawed. It applies to 21 year olds. I would put definitely put weight on at that level without exercise.

And sonofsamo, 40lbs!!! Mucho respecto.
    I guess in the way of these things they will match part of the population & work..like the 220 - age thing, that would have me hugely undertraining as my zones would be way out, similarly BMI puts me in the top of the band before getting to the overweight section.dark yellow rather than orange..so to speak. BTW I am 175cm tall & 72kg top weight, body fat somewhere about 10-12% ish (long time since I had it checked), so not overweight & not particularly muscular. Speaking of which I put on a bomber jacket at the weekend that I hadn't worn for a couple of years...Lady Britspin laughed so much I thought she would burst something....eventually she managed to gasp out that I looked like a kid trying on his dads jacket...felt like the last scene of Big..