Home Chat General Chat

Finally switching to tubs...

Thanks to the great deal and service and PX (well service so far in terms of answering all my stupid questions, and quickly at that), I'm finally making the move to tubs for racing.

Now I need to do some reading up on how to install tubs, best way for spares, etc etc.

What are the views on good tubs to buy - I'm thinking of Conti Podium up front, and the GP4000 tub for the rear. I like Conti, I had good times with their clincher GP4000s, but tubs are so damn expensive...

Comments

• fire trifire tri Posts: 173
    hey up
    which wheels have you gone for?
    I went for the podiums for my first set of tubs front and back
    i had a look on you tube about fitting, but thought it was only a tenner a wheel to get tyres taped at a shop, i would get them to do it
  • Hi FT

I went for the 101/82 combo. They aren't back in stock until end Jan, but at least I still got the deal.

I want to fit them myself, so I know exactly what I'm doing in case of a flat during a race. I didn't realise how damn expensive tubs are though!

The podiums are supposed to be fast, but not very durable, and prone to punctures due to less protection...
  • fire trifire tri Posts: 173
    they dont seem to bad to me, plus with only racing on em they shouldnt get much use over winter when risk is highest!!!!
    Fitting looks fairly easy, although I think I'd be buggered if i got one during a race lol
    get on you tube theres quite a ew vids on there on taping and gluing them
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I got the Conti Competitions as suggested by Hussler. First thing i did was put the Conti valve extensions on,no plumbers tape, no leaving the valve open and risk getting some muck stuck in it but one the guys found these: http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WSP ... e-extender.

Then pumped them up and left them for a few days to get some stretch on, deflated then did the first fit with much sore thumbs. Getting then up to 3 and 9 o'clock was no prob but then started to slip if I went higher even when I tried to jam between my legs, I then hit upon slipping a shoelace aroundthe tyre at and my knee freeing up one hand to complete the fit. With practice I was able to jam the wheel and tyre against my leg and get the tyre on and inflated in about 40 seconds. Each time I fitted them and took them off theasier it was to fit next time.

Glue is traditionally used but I used tape as I am a messy devil.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Dude..

Welcome to the real world now! Get some Jantex tub tape and avoid glue.

Get some Conti competitions as well. Awesome. A tad expensive but last forever!

Did you know Strathy is back on as a standard this year? 4th Sept dude!!
  • I run Pro Lite Gavia rims with Vittoria something or other and they fly. I have no problems with the Token valve extenders I use.

I am just awaiting my new bike though which will come with Planet X 82/101 with Tufo tubs so as soon as I have ridden them I will let you know.

From my limited experience and riding, tubs are defo the way to go far better rolling and grip plus they seem to be far less puncture prone. (Touching massive amounts of wood)
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Avoid Podiums!

Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm Conti Competitions 19mm

Get my point?
  • You're being a bit vague there mate, could you try to make your posts clearer?

...more seriously, have you tried the GP4000 tubs? More expensive, but supposedly faster and more puncture proof...kinda the holy grail of tubs. The only downside is the inner bit is made seamless, which they state as an advantage, but it means you can't repair it. Having said that I'm not sure I'd try to repair a tub.

thinkings?
  • ....oh and S11 - I'll see you at Strath (assuming they don't cancel again)...although it'll be my warm up for the Highland Warrior. I'll still put you and your fancy bike to shame though
    No chance mate.. I'm a different beast to the newbie doing his first OD....

You know I'll nail that swim and then I'll be away like a shot. If this is a smackdown then bring it

I had been eyeing up the Vitruvian as and end of season race for me.... so I'm hoping the dates don't clash

oh... repair a tub????? would you really want to trust a repaired tub????
  • The gauntlet is accepted, it's on!

That'll keep me motivated through the winter. You go nice and fast on the swim mate, just pay attention to the road in front of you on the bike instead of looking over your shoulder worrying when I'll pass you.
    hahaha...

I'm accepting that smackdown. I will sail pass you on the swim and then that will be the last you see me. Enjoy the look of my wet-suit cause thats the last you'll see me!!

Entries open in December!