Home Chat General Chat

aerojacket disc cover

Hi all
I'm a bit gadget mad, and want all the things to make me think my bike will go faster, as at present I cant afford the full tri bike
Was wondering if any of you's out there have got or used a aero jacket disc cover?
they're on bike science
http://www.bike-science.com/products/wh ... -1220.html

Are they any good?

Comments

• I've heard they're almost as good as discs, with one major negative, they don't make the cool disc sound...
  • fire trifire tri Posts: 173
    Conehead,
    I love my carbon bits, need more money to get more/better ones.
    I've got the PX deep section rims 82/101's so was just thinking the disc cover albeit plastic would be a massively cheaper option for me, will only be in second year of tri-ing next year!!!
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    They reviewed these alongside disc wheels in 220 a few months back. IIRC they concluded that the results from the covers were not far off what you get from proper disc wheels.

If you already have the PX 101 on the back wheel, you can't go wrong for ninety quid surely? Buy em and see. If they don't help you just sell them again on ebay.
  • fire trifire tri Posts: 173
    I'm not bad on the bike, only been doing this tri stuff since start of this year!!!
    Got my 10mile tt down from 28min 54 to 26min 42 from start of season to after my last race.
    managed the tatton bike leg on the oly in 1hr 6min 09 so not bad considering the weather
    been making a few changes to bike
    new tt saddle for more comfort so can stay on the nose longer, deep carbon rims 82/101's
    so for £90 getting nearly a "proper" disc aint bad if it works lie a proper aero wheel, read some reviews saying they're very good, but take the weight of ur wheel up so take a bit longer getting up to speed, but work well once you get there.
    Been changing handle bar postion to, after a post I puton asking for advice on my position.
    So a disc, would it make that much difference, real one or cover!!
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    fire tri wrote:
    So a disc, would it make that much difference, real one or cover!!
    Now that's a different question

According to the 220 thing (believe it or don't believe it) there wasn't that much performance difference between a deep rim rear wheel and a rear disc. So as you already have the former, you might not want to spend a grand plus on the latter.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I suppose one could alleviate the major drawback of the plastic cover (apart from not being carbon or expensive) - absence of 'thrum thrum' - by fiting an MP3 player playing the appropriate sound.
  • What you haven't asked yourself is would the disc cover give any performance gain over your standard rear deep section ?

Personally I'd stick with your normal set up
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    The aero cover will give you the aerodynamics as per a windtunnel test.

But the disc wheel has a greater rotational mass,so would suit a more powerful rider who can dial up the speed quicker and get better results despite the extra weight.

Lightest is not always best.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Well for me the prob with the 220 test was that it was all wind tunnel tested and never tested "on the road". I agree with conehead, the disc is fine but the whole package needs to be considered. A simple cover over the rear wheel will be pointless if the rest of the bike is not correctly set up,

Also I find it extremely odd that if it was the simple case of just slapping a cover on the rear wheel then the pros from everyone to British Cycling, triatheletes would be lining to use them.

I would think that they would make a difference but for me - full disc all the way
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Are these the same or similar wheel covers to those that were "fashionable" in the late 80's - I do remember a few Raodie friends of mine having them back then.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    GGB wrote:
    Are these the same or similar wheel covers to those that were "fashionable" in the late 80's - I do remember a few Raodie friends of mine having them back then.
    They would appear to be,but are more substantial and the older ones fitted standard wheels are came in delightful flourescent colours.They were also liable to break easily.
    You can buy them still and if you google polo bikes on the images section you can see some wonderful personalised ones.
    I suppose they fell out of fashion due to the number of bikes and riders that flew across the roads and fields like frisbees when they got caught in cross winds.
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Also I find it extremely odd that if it was the simple case of just slapping a cover on the rear wheel then the pros from everyone to British Cycling, triatheletes would be lining to use them.
    Surely thats just a money issue - if you have £99 spare, you surely by an aero jacket, if you have millions of pounds of lottery funding then you buy all the top and disc wheels you need?