Home Chat General Chat

I want a christmas present from myself

I don't know what type of nice pretty carbon bike to get for myself in the new yr. I have always had road bikes but now I have entered Ironman Wales I feel a step up to a tri specific bike is in order. I have been looking at the Cannondale Slice 105 2011 or Quintanna Roo Seduza 2010. I have Cosmic carbon wheels to put on them but am stuck. The Quintanna Roo has some Ultgra and Dura Ace but is 2010, the Cannondale is 105 throughout and 2011 make. I'm sure at the level I ride at I could not tell the difference between the components but it would be good to get opinions.
Any other sugestions on bikes worth a look at up to £1800.

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Cannodale Slice 105 gets thumbs up here http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 5-10-39151

Did a search for the Roo but didn't find a lot, reviews were a bit patchy,seems the front derailleur mount is custom.

As you have wheels what about this SRAM Red components for under a grand http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBP ... t-sram-red

Felt B12, a bit over budget £1,800 - £2,500, but when did that ever count in triathlon?

Fuji D6 £2,129 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuj ... e-ec024643

No doubt there are some other opinions but that should get you started.

Good luck
  • dhcmdhcm Posts: 67
    I bought a QR Seduza from Wiggle a couple of month ago from Wiggle for £1.5K, think they have sold out now, but there are good deals from Evans etc still around I think. It is my first tri bike so nothing to compare it with, but it works for me and is definately faster than the road bike (though I find the gear changers a bit clunky but learning not to notice).
  • I have now been speaking to the nice people in the bike shop as well. They sugested a road bike as I am not yet a Tri demon doing lot's of long distances per yr. Plus I have the fear after a fall last summer and I'm not sure if I could take advantage of the aero position on a tri bike.
    I'M CONFUSED
  • Hmmmm... expensive bikes. I know it's a terrible blasphemy but It's all just bells and whistles after a while isn't it? Will it actually make you that much faster?
    really?

really?
  • dhcmdhcm Posts: 67
    My experience is that a £2K TT bike with aero wheels is (based one first ride only, ie before have got used to it and also with off-season fitness) about 1.5-2kmh quicker than a basic £500 road bike. Definately quicker, but will have to wait and see by how much next summer.

Doesn't mean it is worth it of course. For me the reason was that I get passed on the cycle leg by people on TT bikes, but never by people on road bikes. If I had never had a TT bike, I would never have found out whether it was the bike or the engine that was the difference. Will find out next summer.
  • I'm sure I have seen people discuss carbon frames and seat angles being kinder to your legs so they are fresher come the run stage.
    Conehead wrote:
    The answer to your problem is here

http://forum.bcttt.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 271#p35271

£2,000 for the bike (apart from wheels, I still need them)
    Thanks mr head but all I seem to have now are more dilemma's.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    My journey thus far. same event bike legs:

2006 1:04 MTB
    2007 0:54 Road bike
    2008 0:49 Focus alu tri bike
    2009 0:49 Focus alu tri bike
    2010 0:46 Cervelo P2 carbon (using the components from the Focus)

Of course I got a bit fitter but every little helps and it is all diminishing returns.

Tri bike is designed for purpose, gives a better kick off on the run and faster over first 5K

Carbon genrally lighter, soaks up the buzz so comfier over long distances but to be absolutely honest I was perfectly happy with the Focus and only went for the carbon frame as I came into a bit of money and was going 'long'.

The P2 frame is definitely lighter, has snappier acceleration, stable and definitely outperforms me.

A good alu frame is better than a bad carbon frame so research lots and do the mathematics; yep lots of dilemas although the simplest way is just to get the blingiest carbon bike on 0% finance / 0% credit card
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    Maybe theres a another point about tri bikes + wheels.

Theres not only additional potential speed (if you have good position its generally accepted to be in the region of 3-6%), its the effort involved to achieve a given speed. On the turbo in the aero position on my TT my heart rate is consistently 10% lower for the same speed output compared to the roadie. Thats going to help a lot in a middle/long distance event.

Of course I may just have a very bad position on the road bike so interested in conflicting views.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Look at the warranty for the frames,some have a lifetime others,my 2005 Seduza had only a two year one.
    As mentioned above the front dérailleur hangar had a problem and worked loose,but apart from that it is a very comfy bike to race on.