Home Chat General Chat

Which Middle Distance ?

Happy New Year everyone, wishing you health, happiness and PBs !
I am hoping to move up to middle distance this year, I'm not finding the training too bad at all, although I'll mostly not be eating much in January, just been on the scales - what a fatty ! Anyway, whilst there's loads of sprints and olympic distances to choose from, there don't seem to be as many HIMs, and the ones I have seen seem to be in southern England.

So, what I am rather longwindedly getting at is, is there a list of HIMs anywhere, or can anyone think of an event which is in northern England or Scotland which would be easier for me to get to ? I don't mind how rugged the course is, the harder the better tbh !!!!

Going running now, cos I don't have a hangover !

Comments

• hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Bala - North Wales
    Helvellyn or however you spell it...bit of a strange set of distances but damn is it hard...
    Lake district....cant remember what its actually called though....
    Cleveland Steelman - Northumberland area
    Trentham - Stoke on Trent
    Vitruvian - Rutland Water

They are just off the top of my head.....all are hard courses with Bala, Helvellyn and lake district the top 3.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    There are a few of us doing the Vitruvian vitruvian-t49791.html
    ... but you had better be quick as the places are almost gone. Looking forward to it.
    Vitruvian has sold out, only charity places left.......it sells out within 3 days of opening
  • 101SUSY101SUSY Posts: 53
    Good luck for your Vitruvian efforts, it looked a bit far away for me though, and full now of course; and thank you very much for the other recommendations. I have also had a look on *another* forum.

I already had Helvellyn in mind, but wasn't sure cos the distances are peculiar aren't they ? Coniston looks too bloody hard ! Anyway, Helvellyn is in my diary now as is the 'Couple Challenge' at Newbiggin, tho I can't figure out if the swim is 950M or 1900M (also, I initially thought it was for couples, which I thought was a bit weird, I had visions of his n' hers matching tri-suits, anyway it's not that, there's a statue of a 'Couple' there so it's named for that).
    Hellvellyn Is on the top 10 hardest Tri's in the UK.....3rd I think? because you have to take a map and compass with you on the run......just in case you get lost.....GULP.

Good Luck! I fancy the Coniston one at some point....maybe next year as this year is already planned out....
  • Cowman ( highly recommend this)

Cotswold 113

Eastnor Middle Distance

Bustinskin MIddle

Trentham Big Half

Weymouth Middle

etc etc

There are loads of em
    err, not quite in the vicinity of Scotland or Northern England !
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    In Scotland there is usually the Aberfeldy Middle distance,despite the fact it is in the Highlands,well Perth,it is a fast course,the bike is undulating but not hilly,the swim is the usual scottish loch brain freeze and a neoprene hat would be strongly recommended.It used to alternate with an Irondistance race,but due to the rise of the m dot it like others has disappeared.But wellborganised and good value.

As well as the Helvellyn there is A day in the lakes which is a full middle distance race, and of course there is the Wenslydale triathlon,all of which are on the trihard website.

Enjoy
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Jon E is spot on. Only 1 Middle in scotland. Aberfeldy and it usually attracts a decent field of athletes. Its the same with Oly's. only a handful of events.... Scotlands crap for Tri's hence why I travel all over the place.

This year I'm doing the Vit, Bala and Trentham Big Half or the Cowman.
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    Not quite right there S11 - there's also the Highland Warrior, which is a great event. Up at Fort William. I totally recommend it, and will be back again this year.

Nofussevents do a few races of varying degrees of insanity. The HW is a fairly "normal" half distance, nice warm sea loch swim, beautiful bike rides with some moderate climbs, and a scenic run over forrest trails.

They also do the Big Ben the day before which is also half distance, but a mountain bike route. I think some nutters did both last year
    Heh ! My advice to myself today is : be careful what you ask for. You might get it !

Sooooo many choices now ! I really fancied the idea of the Big Ben, but since cycling is my most rubbish discipline by far, the thought of 80-odd km on a mountain bike put me off a bit. Highland Warrior looks hopeful, though I think It might clash with Helvellyn, or something else I'm doing, need to get my diary out again.

Aberfeldy sounds good too - and can't possibly be colder than the North Sea last year. Can it ?
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    I'm def doing the HW, so if you go for it let me know. I'm also thinking of Aberfeldy, but need to consider costs/ travel etc...plus I'm not sure when I'm going on hols this year. I need to fit those in at some point I guess.
  • DrwatsonDrwatson Posts: 5
    Hey all - just stumbled across this as I am considering the aberfeldy 70.3 this year. I understand it opens today on entry central so keep 'em peeled if you're still keen.
  • the bellythe belly Posts: 125
    Heres one in the midlands leicestershie

http://www.spanglefish.com/FullBoarEven ... eid=280976