Home Chat General Chat

Gary Mason dead in cycling accident

jacjac Posts: 452
Very sad news...

Former British boxing champion Gary Mason has died in a cycling accident.
Mason, 48, was riding his bike in Sandy Lane South, Wallington, south London, yesterday when he was involved in a collision with a van.
The former heavyweight, who fought the likes of Frank Bruno and Lennox Lewis, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver, 43, who was driving a white Vauxhall van, was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving.
He was taken to a south London police station before being bailed pending further inquiries.
A police spokesman said: "Officers were alerted at about 6.15am yesterday to a
van in collision with a bicycle on Sandy Lane South, near the junction with
Woodcote Road, Wallington.
"The cyclist, aged 48 years, was pronounced dead at the scene."
A post-mortem examination is due to be held at St Helier Hospital mortuary and an inquest will be opened at Croydon Coroner's Court.

Comments

• aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    v.sad....
  • Race1Race1 Posts: 58
    I live about 1/2 a mile from that junction. It forms part of my run and cycle routes. It's not a particualrly bad junction in my experience. 1 main road and 2 others joining it at a fork. Certainly not an accident blackspot in the traditional sense. But maybe that's my being complacent.

It's obviously sad for his family and fans. i'll be interested to hear the details of the cause in due course.

On a side note this is the 2nd time in 2 weeks my home town has been in the news. While ago a woman was killed by a mastiff. Seems I live in a dangerous area. :roll:
  • sad, sad news,
    mason was certainly a gentleman in his time,
    more of his ilk & the world would be a better place.