Home Chat General Chat

AERO BARS OR COCKPIT

Hi All,

I am looking for advice do I carry on using my aero bars or do i buy an aero cockpit? What are the differences? what are the pros and cons? How easy are they to fit? If anyone has any experiance or ideas please let me know. I am divided at the moment as i do not know much about cockpits. Do they fit on a normal road bike easily. i have problems riding on my drops for long periods of time so i thought that a cock pit would keep me in a better position.

What do you all think?

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    is a cockpit some form of boy butter entity?
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Id personally start out with clip on bars for a road bike. it gets you into a more aero tuck, so you get that advantage, and can still take them off and use the bike in group rides etc. Also gets you used to being forward on the saddle, but will end up leaving you wanting more. I then reckon a tri bike with cockpit is a good logical step. You get aero advantage and the steeper seat angle of a tri bike helps too. You may be able to move the seat forward on a road bike, but I guess thats what tri bikes are designed for. Well thats my 2p.
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    I guess a cockpit (like off aeroplanes) could make you much more aero. Some of them get up to mach 5. Doubt they'd fit on a bike though. An ejector seat might be useful though, especially for that sharp turn at Wimbleball.

Seriously: I've heard of road bars on a TT bike (aka Chrissies slice), but its rare to see an aero basebar on a road bike.
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Dont put a full TT cockpit on a road bike. The frame geometry is different and the set up wouldnt be right and feel awful, it would ruin the ride quality.

Instead, stay with the drops and use clip ons if you really need to go aero on a roadie.

Or as Conehead says spunk £3k on a full TT set up and be done with it

TT bike for TT'ing and Tri, Roadie for general riding and Tri if you cant afford to get a 2nd bike.
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    I've got a full cockpit set up on a roadie, and it's very comfy (at least it us up to HIM distance), and it's quick.

I did get a seatpost that I could reverse though to bring the seat forward.
  • Im with hussler on this one.

I raced last season on a roadie with clip on aerobars, which despite a bike fitting left me with crippling back pain, constricted breathing and numb shoulders after 50 mins or so.

Have upgraded in the off season to a full TT setup with semi integrated bars and an excellent bike fit from you-know-who. Difference is night and day - its comfortable like an old pair of slippers and instantly carved off 9 mins over my 40km training route PB in the depths of off season unfitness

Incidentally, the fitter's advice was that it is very rarely a good idea to fit aerobars to a roadie as the geometry just doesn't support it, and my personal experience definitely goes with that. Wasn't cheep tho... :roll:
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    MadDog2020 wrote:
    Im with hussler on this one.

<snip>

Incidentally, the fitter's advice was that it is very rarely a good idea to fit aerobars to a roadie as the geometry just doesn't support it, and my personal experience definitely goes with that. Wasn't cheep tho... :roll:
    :roll: we all KNOW that....but choose to ignore it as its the easist and quickest way to make you look like a triathlete and therefore be more attractive to the opposite sex.
  • ... on second thoughts, aerobars going back onto road bike without further delay!! Knew i had been going wrong somewhere...