Home Chat General Chat

Power gel headache!!

Hi all, I have used powergels on 3 different occassions ie. mountain biking in wales and 2 time trials and on all 3 occassions they have given me a splitting headache, i thought at first it was due to dehydration but i am now suspecting that it is the gels? has anyone got any thoughts on this as i would really like to have this handy energy supply without the headache!

cheers, james.

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Have you tried SiS gels,they are less concentrated than most,so you don't keep having to take fluid with them,
    sugar induced migraine possibly.
  • Again, try a different brand. For some reason I;ve never got on with Lucozade gels, but fine with Powerbar, Honey Stinger, SIS etc.
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Agree with Jon.E I mainly use SIS or HI5 isotonic. Much more palatable. Best to try a few different varieties
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    If you dont take water with gels then you will dehydrate.

Gels need a water based liquid (not energy drink) to help the absorption, if you dont take them with water then they take the fluid away from somewhere else and will make you dehydrated.

Try different brands.

Dont be fooled by 'isotonic' gels that 'dont need water' they still need a little bit. I would always separate Energy needs with Hydration so I can keep track of what I am taking.
  • gasgasgasgas Posts: 21
    many thanks for your responses, by the sounds of things i think it may be a combination of the brand i use (powerbar) and not enough hydration, i will try a different brand and see how it goes.

thanks again, james.
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    thats true....taste better when they are free! H5 for me!

and being an armourer iv tasted worse! you know better than most how it is being a proper trade in the mob lol
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Do you really need to use them in those events? Could you use something closer to real food?