Home Chat General Chat

Hernia

Hi All,

After a bit of proper serious advice please.

I've had/got a little inguinal hernia (been there since last April - still waiting for NHS op).

It doesn't hurt or get in the way.

Can have my op next month, but I'm getting right into the middle of my training for my 1st Duathlon in April.

Most of the on-line stuff I've read recommend 6 weeks ish of not running and riding recovery.

This would cock up 1/2 my 2nd tri season.

Do I postpone the op until end of the season or get it done?

Worse case scenario would be it getting strangulated and having to have an emergency op.

Bit of a brain ache one this one for me.

Pat...

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    This maybe a touch harsh - Sorry!

I think you may need to put your head into this decission and not your heart. It makes no sense at all to risk further damage and continue training to race if you have a hernia which as you say could get worse or even stranglate. Get the op done and worry about the rest of it after. How would you feel if something went wronmg training and you ended up not being able to do it ever again. its not worth risking your health for a race. After the six weeks are up you can get back to it, you may not be in the best shape ever but hay you wont be risking further injury.

Thats my 2 pence worth anyway.
    Theres always next season or later in this for raceing at your peak.

blinkybaz
  • Same issue 4 years ago-albeit pre tri. As Blinky says, get it done. It will be stronger as a result. I was back in the gym 5 weeks later, doing light cardio. Plus when they shave your knackers you can ask for your legs to be done same time...
  • eamonneamonn Posts: 30
    Get it over and done with mate.I had an umbilicle hernia done a few years ago. Hurts like hell for a few weeks and does take about six weeks before you can do much but after that you`ll have peace of mind.
  • AvoneerAvoneer Posts: 174
    Cheers all,

Reality check taken.

Pre-op booked.

Pat...
  • Good decision!
    Hope all goes well
  • Can you let us know how you get on please as I was diagnosed with an umbilicle hernia Tuesday!!!!!
    Got a consultants appointment next Tuesday and hoping for an op next week (or the week after), obviously Im lucky enough to have private cover.
    Im hoping it wont be 6 weeks recovery as I have the ironman uk this year and would rather run the race to set a decent time rather than run it to just hope to finish!!!!

Good luck.
    Yeah - no problems - pretty sure it may help someone else in the future if i do.

Got my pre-op this Tuesday and op next Saturday.

I have a great fear of all doctor/hospital/needle related matters so this will be fun.

Absolutely shatting myself and that's just for the pre-op knowing they're gonna take some blood.

On the plus side, I've been hammering the bike in the last few weeks to try and get mega fit in the hope that when I return to training, I'l be in a slightly better position and can use the "forced rest" to recover ;-)

Pat...
  • Hi, had my hernia fixed lapprascopically (key hole) last Feb was able to drive to kent from cornwall 3 days later was back training within 10 days. The old fashioned way would put you out for 6-8 weeks.

Hope this helps
    That's what I'm having - I think - will check at my pre-op.

10 days would be awesome.

I can tell all my friends that I can't train and get some secret sessions in ;-)

Pat...
    Anyone really want an update?

Pat...
  • Well I guess you are still alive - that's a good start

Seriously though, hope you're recovering well!

Always a good start !

Just over 1 week - staples coming out tomorrow - most of the swelling gone down.

Still hurts when sitting up - kind of like severe lower ab doms.

Missing the swimming, running & biking though.

Pat...