Home Chat General Chat

Persistent muscle pain

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone could advise me on anything that you've tried to ease muscle pain?

Since the new year i've been in pretty much constant muscle pain. I am not training any more in terms of intensity or volume than I was last year but am in almost constant pain- my legs and back particularly are reducing me to a pathetic shuffle most mornings. My running shoes are well fitted and less than a few months old and my bike is fitted well and neither my run or bike position etc have casued problems in the previous seasons.

I'm not sure what to do- does anyone have any tips you use to reduce muscle soreness? I don't beleive I am over-training as I'm not doing more than I have in the past but my body is just rebelling against me, it's very frustrating.

Sigh.

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Sounds like a complete bummer! (see how avoided puns there!)

What does the doctor say? If its that bad and its sounds it, you should be consulting people in the medical or physio know how.
    e quacks!
    I could talk about working on your core muscles to strength you trunk and stability. But you could end up damaging yourself more!

Its old story we have all been through. Try and fix something ourselves in stead of a trip to th
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    If its muscle pain as in muscle tiredness then its likely you need to improve your muscle strength. I did lots of training last year and had a few injury niggles and completed IMUK but sometimes get muscle pain - my physio has basically said that I am fit enough to do all the training etc but my muscles havent got the strength, this will eventually lead to more injuries. Only way to avoid this is to work on core strength and muscle strength in the legs.

It may not be the same thing but definately worth looking into.
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Hi

I know you say that your training is the same volume & intensity as last year but have you considered overtraining? Have there been other changes in life that add to the total stress load on your body?

First stage can include trouble with technique, performance errors & decline in performance.

Second stage can include persistent muscle & joint soreness, decreased appetite and susceptability to colds, fevers & sore throats, iritability, lethargy and profuse sweating with minimal exercise.

Does any of this sound familiar? If so ease back to "active" rest levels & review your diet to ensure sufficient protein & carbohydrate. When recovered build up training slowly & plan in recovery.

Hope you get sorted soon