Home Chat General Chat

advice on iron distance wetsuit

Advice please. I am looking to buy a new wetsuit to train for my first iron distance. I am not a great swimmer and need all the bouancy and position support I can get. Which suit should I opt for?

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    The max you will get is 5mm on the torso, I am a rubbish swimmer and wore a 2XU Team :0 for the Outlaw, no probs, no 'sloshing' under the arms, good fit but still flexible so a thumbs up from me but make sure you get a good fit. A hire and buy might be an option.
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    The fact that you are doing an Ironman isn't really a consideration.

It's all about fit. Look at a number of different brands that meet the other criteria you specified and try them all out, then just pick the one that fits best.

Ignore sizing charts, you need to try them on.

The one that fits me best on the charts doesn't fit me at all. The one that fits me like a glove, according to the charts is wrong in just about every measurement!

Best to get to somewhere that stocks a number of brands and spend some time wriggling in and out of them. If you can swim in them then even better.

Good luck!
  • Ah
    yep - Ben Laws here and I truely am shit at swimming. Took me 54 minutes to swim The 1.9 km towing the kayak at the Cowman Middle. Then again my sighting was crap cos I was following some bald idiot.

Thats way too long but The reaction is really very good.

I can't rate them highly enough.

Cheers CH - I promise I'll be better this year
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    +1 for Ben being shit at swimming.

... still better than me though
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I also have a Blue Seventy Reaction (had to buy it when I left my 2XU at home - of course I had to upgrade), only worn it on one event but pleased with it but unlike the 2XU have not swum the 3.8km distance in it.

As I said before the 2XU was fine for the distance and hoping the Reaction will speed me through the water like a graceful dolphin or not - possibly not.

Although not an expert my thoughts echo Conehead's, for mere mortals such as me the performance of most suits will be on a par once you get past the basic entry models and the important thing is the fit. Size charts - well - a fitting is a must.
  • Thanks Jon

See you at Heron/ Thorpe soon
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    I'll be in the kayak
  • Pmsl
  • +2 for Ben's shocking swimming

I did IMCH using my bottom of the range Orca, which is 2 years old and still fine