Home Chat General Chat

First Triathlon

Hi everybody.

I have signed up to my first triathlon albeit a sprint one but a triathlon all the same. I have been reading the magazine for a few months and have bitten the bullet. However I need help.

What equipment do I need and what are the procedures relating to T1 and T2 I've seen bits on the TV but they don't show all of it. Any help and advice would be much apprecaiated.

The event is the Skipton Triathlon - near to where I live so if I am knackered when I finish I don't have far to go.

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    The best & simplest thing is to go & watch a tri before you race...you will learn what & what not to do pretty graphically & quickly. However assuming a pool based swim (although not much difference if its open water) you exit pool & run/hobble over needle like gravel to where you thought you left your bike, then you panic before finding your bike, right where you actually did leave it, assuming you have a tri suit, you can either faff & put on socks, bike shoes, helmet (& do it up) & number (get a number belt), before grabbing bike & legging it to where you think the bike exit is, find out where it actually is & mount at the indicated line, (or have shoes attached to bike, eschew socks & glide off like a pro) Discovering you left it in too high a gear. Pedal off & do bike leg, return, dismount at line as indicated by marshall & wobble around on weirdly rubbery legs before racking bike where you got it from, hopefully that means your run shoes are waiting for you, switch shoes & continue rubber leg running before realising a) you have no idea where run exit is b) you still have your helmet on, so ditch helmet with bike & find run exit..normal legs may be resumed at some point in the run, do correct distance/laps fall across line swearing you wil never do it again..change mind somewhere between 5mins to 2 days later whilst boring your non tri mates with stories of your exploits.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Oh you might like to practice all of this before the day as well as swim, run, bike & get a kit layout in your head.
    Equipment? trisuit ideally, but swimmers & goggles will do but changing will cost you time, Bike (Duh) helmet, bike shorts (could swim in but not overly comfortable when wet..if you have no tri suit), helmet, bike shoes if you wish, but many do with run shoes which saves you a change in T2...bottle, sun glasses & hat maybe, towel to stand on whilst changing pool to bike/run shoes, number belt will save time.
    Anything else can be invested in if you decide to continue & re mortgaged your house/sold a kidney/child etc.
  • Gotta be honest, you won't get a more accurate description as Britspin has just described!!!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Enjoy the event,it is well organised,as well as Britspins wise words,Skipton is slightly unusual in the distance from pool to transition and the large transition size compared to other sprint tri's.
    Last year they did allow you to leave your trainers at the pool exit incase you didn't want to run in barefeet.Also the transition area is on sloping ground,when you get to the mount line go slightly past that on to a flatter surface before getting on the bike.
    From living in the area you will obviously be training on the bike route,there will be marshals at junctions but despite their articulate arm movements they cannot stop traffic,it is your responsibility,take care.
  • M47hewM47hew Posts: 18
    Many thanks for the words of advise (warning) lol. So to put it into perspective. I'm likely to puke up some where along the way then lol.

Cheers Britspin, Browny and Jon E for the advise are any of you doing the Skipton Triathlon then?

So essential kit is Bike, Helmet Tri-suit goggles and trainers. Do I need cycling shorts or trunks if I am wearing a tri-suit?

Cheers again
    Unless you want comfort when cycling,no need for cycle shorts,only a sprint race,so I doubt,cycle shorts would be needed.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    M47hew wrote:
    Hi everybody.

albeit a sprint one but a triathlon all the same
    No need to apologise for "only" doing a sprint. Moving up through the distances to Ironman distance racing is what may people do, but it is not the only valid path through a triathlon "career".
  • Jules wrote:
    [quote="M47hew":y399wauz]Hi everybody.

albeit a sprint one but a triathlon all the same
    No need to apologise for "only" doing a sprint. Moving up through the distances to Ironman distance racing is what may people do, but it is not the only valid path through a triathlon "career".[/quote:y399wauz]

Don't forget M47hew, the vast majority of the population will never even attempt to do a Sprint so there's no need to apologise and quite the opposite, should be congratulated for stepping into the all-consuming world of Tri. Hope you enjoy it mate, you'll be completing an Olympic before the seasons over
  • From my experience the only people who say "only a sprint" are those who've never tried to do one! big achievement making the decision to do one - it's actually easier doin the race than makin that first step!! Did my first sprint last year, moved to Olympic by the end of the season and now thinking about half iron! Best of luck with it!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Britspin has hit it on the head. In T1 and T2 you feel as if everyone is watching you but honestly the howlers we have all done :roll:

All you need is something to swim in, a bike and helmet, and running shoes.

A trisuit would make life much easier, needn't cost a lot, about £30 will do it http://startfitness.co.uk/product.asp?s ... P_ID=41230
    Elastic laces will: a save time, b, stop laces coming undone
    http://startfitness.co.uk/product.asp?s ... rtRecord=1
    We tend not to wear socks so get some practice in, Bodyglide or similar smeared around the heel of the shoe is a help http://startfitness.co.uk/product.asp?s ... rtRecord=1
    Sorry I'm being lazy and just searched the one site, no affiliation, honest.

As Britspin says get in early, ask lots of questions nobody will mind, we are a friendly bunch and will all pass on tips and experience.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Just a Sprint?

As Graham says you will be a Triathlete, a warrior breed. I know a lot of triathletes who only do Sprints and the odd Olympic so you will be in good company.

And did I say enjoy it?

Good luck
  • Definately worth spending some time rehearsing what you will do in transition, just walk through it so you know what order you're going to do things in, how you will lay out any kit. I gurantee you'll be pumped full of adrenalin on the day and knowing you've practiced this will help things go smoothly.

Good luck!
    Many thanks again for the help and advise. Not many weeks now to cram in the training lol. Just hoping to complete this one then will see where to participate after that. As I have no idea how long all three will take me to do. I can then set myself a target to beat going forward.

Will try my best to enjoy it. I guess in the light of day after puking up etc the day or two after I might think its great or just for the mad either way sounds like fun to me!!
  • dhcmdhcm Posts: 67
    "Just a sprint"?

Depends on how you approach it. If you are just aiming to complete it and don't care about the time, then it is true that a sprint is easier than the longer versions.

But if you are going to race it, then not necessarily so. It is shorter, but tougher and more intense while you are going. Different kind of hard, but not less hard.

When I was a kid I used to do some athletics, and I always found the 400m/800m to be tougher than the cross country... Not a pefect analogy, but you get the idea...

Good luck!
    Anoother question if you don't mind. What size bike is best? I have tried both a 56 and a 58 both feel fine. Not sure which one to get as the ride is more upright on 58 so probably better for longer rides I guess but the 56 is more compact so I guess would be better for shorter quicker rides. Local bike shop said both fit fine just down to preference. Any more advice would be appreciated. Cheers again
    Hi Conehead

Not remortgaged as yet and not going for Carbon. Was going to be a little different and go for titanium.
    Well. My first triathlon is fast approaching. oh hell its this Sunday. Still have the 42 pages of BTF rules to read before then. Any last minute tips I might need to ensure a smooth race. I have a mid morning start time so should be able to get lots of porridge and jam and toast for breakfast to fuel me up for the race.

Bike all regreased and rearing to go.

Any additional help much appreciated.
    Just as above.

Get there early, at least drive the bike route.

Recce routes in and out of Transition

Practice transition, lay your kit out the same way

Don't worry if you make mistakes, learn from them

Enjoy

Smile at the camera
  • Ga3Ga3 Posts: 14
    I'm doing Skipton Tri on Sunday, did it last year its a great race to be your first one. There's going to be loadz of people in the same boat as you, so as said before dont worry about making mistakes.

Think everyone else has given all the advice you need, but one thing i can remember from last year T1 and T2 were very busy, mainly because people can come at anytime to rack their bike while other people are racing. So make sure you know where your bike is......i find a brightly coloured towel helps.

Good luck and enjoy
  • dhcmdhcm Posts: 67
    "read 42 pages of BTF rules"?

You ARE keen!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    M47hew wrote:
    Well. My first triathlon is fast approaching. oh hell its this Sunday. Still have the 42 pages of BTF rules to read before then. Any last minute tips I might need to ensure a smooth race. I have a mid morning start time so should be able to get lots of porridge and jam and toast for breakfast to fuel me up for the race.

Bike all regreased and rearing to go.

Any additional help much appreciated.
    meh, I've never even glanced at those...perhaps i should do at some point.

I think all the useful advice has been given, so relax, enjoy it, push as hard as you can and try to puke off the course if you do puke. Get there early, stake the transition areas out a bit- try to learn where things are etc - you will forget and as britspin said, run round lost for a bit. Is it OW? If so, practace getting out of a wet wetsuit...get in teh shower, put it on cold as it will go and stand there for 10 mins - or until you get a headache, then jump out and run downstairs to the garden and try to get out of the wettie. then try and get yourself out on the bike asap. then just before you ride off - stop and look at what you have forgotten, bike shoes, helmet, sunnies, number belt, bike gloves? all there then well done.

As for just a sprint, sprints are hard, they hurt and make me sick lots of the time. But remember, enjoy!
  • vix1987vix1987 Posts: 11
    As for just a sprint, sprints are hard, they hurt and make me sick lots of the time. But remember, enjoy!

arghh i have so much to look forward to... 11 weeks to go
    Well that's is my first triathlon completed. What a great experience. If only I hadn't made the school boy errors lol. Firstly another question, it was a pool based swim and after lapping all but 1 in my lane 2 one wouldn't let me past a second time after tapping him on his foot. What is the correct ettiquette?

My school boy error was to go out of transition 1 without my number belt on, Only realised when I saw somebody in front who I was catching up had his on. Oops I turned around and went back to the transition to pick it up. Lost time.... lets put that down to experience!

I then got a puncture. Which unfortunately I struggled to changed mainly due to the fact that the valve split on the pump. I evently got a cyclist to stop (who wasn't in the race) who helped by using his CO2 cartridge for my tyre. 2nd school boy error - saves so much more time than a pump (I've never used them before).
    I was just about to pick the bike up and run the remaining 15K I still had to cycle. (didn't want a DNF on my first Triathlon. Lol.

Completed it in 1:49:38 so not sure how this would compare to a novice bearing in mind I think I lost in excess of 20 minutes for the puncture.

Cheers for all the support and advice. If only I remembered it all lol.

Mathew
    Pool etiquette if the swimmer in front does not heed your foot tapping is either,
    1.as you approach the wall at the end of the length is to cut across them before they reach the end,or
    2.grab their ankle,pull them back and swim over them,if they argue at the end just point out it was an accident,

good news on finishing with your incidents.
    Well done - you are now a triathlete
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    well done, re the pool etiquite, I'm with Jon.e, sink em as you go over the top of them - or a nice tumble turn as they arrive at teh wall imight have worked.

Sounds like you did well given the puncture, and the number belt well you won't do that again (well you might actually but hey never mind )
    It was a little annoying was the number belt and the puncture, but I guess its all down to experience. I know have the CO2 inflators and decided to put my number belt on the bike so if I do forget its still on the bike. That way I don't have to go back LOL.

Must look for the next one to try out, any recommendations for sprints around Yorkshire, will build up to the Olympic one by the end of year I hope.
    Tri's in Yorkshire,
    Tadcaster May 2nd,still had places available
    http://www.pdsportmanagement.co.uk

the Hatfield tri,run by Adwick tri club is an excellent open water sprint tri near Doncaster.
    There is the Driffield tri Beverley and Allerthorpe,run by freebird events,www.frebirdevents.co.uk,
    for a good Olympic distance,the Ripon tri is well recommended.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    So, cherry popped. Faster OR further now?
    After the last race its both faster and further. Want to do another one to see what time I could actually do one in without making a complete arse of the transition and also be better prepared in case I have another puncture. LOL. But I do want to do longer ones too. Was testing the water so to speak.
  • Great work! Just wondering how the porridge and jam sat prior to your race? Any stomach discomfort? Also, from over here on the other side of the pond...just what is porridge?