Home Chat General Chat

The general public- teenagers specifically

Running at the weekend, two separate groups of gormless teenagers shouting 'are you a man (ha fucking ha' at me as I go past.
Since when is it appropriate to just shout things at strangers in the street now? Same thing happens on our tri club runs round the town centre- just groups of kids shouting at you.

I must just be old now. and really masculine apparently.
sigh.

It's enough to make you give it up, get a massive arse and start spending all your time in front of the TV like everyone else.

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Used to get that when running with my Dad in the 70's - pretty unusual then, dear old Dad had been running since the 1940's when it was extremely rare and used to get all sorts of abuse.

Ignore them - their arteries will furr up and they will die slowly from debilitating diseases before they are 60
  • EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
    wear headphones, listen to music and ignore them or else maybe the grumpy old men website?
    Also, lets face it running around in lycra is not actually very cool. i think if i was a teenager i may shout some abuse as well.
  • SilverbackSilverback Posts: 131
    Running last night a cyclist drew along side and we had a chat for a km or so, whether I wanted to or not. Perfectly pleasant, mainly him moaning about the rising price of chain rings on ebay (random)

Made a change from the usual cries of "winker" from chavs on two wheeled hairdyers.

Or lost motorists wanting me to stop so they can ask directions.
  • planeetxplaneetx Posts: 4
    I go running at lunchtimes from my workplace 2 or 3 times a week. My route invariably takes me past the local high school. Just imagine what I hear when there's several hundred of the little dears.

Some are quite funny though - "run forest run" was this weeks gem.

When it snows is the worst though - it's like trying to dodge machine gun fire...
  • My favourite which happens now and then is cycling along' and they shout out the car window just as they drive past. Scares the sh*t out of me everytime as makes me jump, causing a wobble. A great idea when on the road nearly come off a couple of times. I did think of putting some golf balls in my jersey ao if they did it I could take one out and pelt it at the car
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    A simpler idea would be to have an air pistol attached to the handlebars so you could cause a slow puncture in their tyre.

Or simply assume that every car is going to be occupied by some gormless t##t - not a bad assumption and rarely far wrong - and expect such behaviour. The wobble enhances their sense of 'fun' and I would not give them the pleasure, anyway they are no doubt cholestrol and saturated fat consuming chavs whose arteries are steadily furring up and will die early (unfortunately costing taxpayers a lot of money on the way).
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Nobody shouts ''Get off and milk it'',these days when you ride past,oh the good old days.

the shouts you can ignore,it is when the missiles and drive by back slapping starts,the red mist descends.
  • ARobinettARobinett Posts: 35
    There's an awful lot of talk of retaliation on here. I would never shout back or anything like that- just stew quietly. The siuation would just deteriorate quickly into a full on fight i fear. I agree that the moral superiority that comes from knowing you'll outlive the fatties is very comforting, but 20 years is a long time to wait for retribution.
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    20 yrs IS a long time to wait hence why when I got squirted with a water pistol from a passing car I sprinted like never before catching the car at the next red lights.

Passenger side window was open....contents of water bottle (and sticky SiS PS22 ) emptied into car.

Luckily they took it in good humour...couldnt have given a shit if they didnt.
  • Bungle79Bungle79 Posts: 9
    This only happened once, but my daughter found out about it and still tells everybody she meets.
    I was cycling home and a car pulled alongside me and the passenger burped at me and the car then sped off!
    I found it quite funny, I don't really know what the motivation was or what they wanted the end result to be.

School children do really annoy me, as they shuffle along with their packet of chocolate hobnobs that constitutes their dinner, as they wail nonsensical gibberish at you. So the other day, as I suffered yet another barrage from the little ne'er do wells I simply cycled past smiling whilst flipping them the bird. They did NOT like that.
  • SickBoySickBoy Posts: 19
    planeetx wrote:
    Some are quite funny though - "run forest run" was this weeks gem.
    Haven't heard that one in about 10 years, that film's 17 years old! I'm surprised they even know it.

I suppose the classics stick around...